Been completely out of the loop for a while.

For the most part of the year I've been completely out of the loop in everything photography or camera related. I used to get regular social media feeds about the latest bits of news and updates from the industry, photography websites, photography-related personalities, I used to watch quite a few youtube clips from photography-related content producers. I'd check in right here in Cameraderie once every month or two but have not really participated much.

I still have not peeked at photography/camera related news that might have happened over the past year, with the exception of seeing the posts on an upcoming Leica M11 in this forum a couple of days ago.

What would you say are some major photography news items I might have missed?

Kai and Lok finally move in together and started a family?

Steve Huff finally owned up to being a full time ghost/witch hunter?

Overgaard still being accused of .. whatever he keeps getting accused of?

I'm still taking casual photos of the family though. Here's one of my daughter during Christmas.

2022-01-15_12-18-52.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t worry you’ll work it out, the important thing is you took a break, logging in too much online to photo or any other forums probably isn’t that mentally healthy.

I did actually feel different. It all happened when my facebook account was hacked into last year, I lost access to it. So I started a brand new account and I saw how 'blank' it was. Facebook didn't know what my interests were, it didn't know what to show in my newsfeed. I had my original account for maybe 15 years, long before facebook was an open public social media site so I had built up years of focused interests in my old account.

This new account though ... it was really weirdly floating free in the wind.

It wasn't until months later when I popped back in Cameraderie when I suddenly realised I had no idea what's been going on in the photography world. The names 'Steve Huff' and 'Thorsten Overgaard' were familiar but distant names.

It was sort of refreshing but also weird. I felt like I'd been away for a long time and I didn't even know it. Just because I lost my years old facebook account and wasn't "plugged in" anymore.

Olympus is dead, long live OM.

Holy crap, I was shocked for a moment but found this:

Sony still has everyone by the sensors.

😆😆😆😆😆

For the most part of the year I've been completely out of the loop in everything photography or camera related. I used to get regular social media feeds about the latest bits of news and updates from the industry, photography websites, photography-related personalities, I used to watch quite a few youtube clips from photography-related content producers. I'd check in right here in Cameraderie once every month or two but have not really participated much.

I still have not peeked at photography/camera related news that might have happened over the past year, with the exception of seeing the posts on an upcoming Leica M11 in this forum a couple of days ago.

What would you say are some major photography news items I might have missed?

Kai and Lok finally move in together and started a family?

Steve Huff finally owned up to being a full time ghost/witch hunter?

Overgaard still being accused of .. whatever he keeps getting accused of?

I'm still taking casual photos of the family though. Here's one of my daughter during Christmas.

View attachment 286910

Looks to me like you haven't missed a beat. There's always new gear coming out. But as you demonstrated very well, yours is still working perfectly.

Prices of some vintage lenses has shot through the roof, I've not seen things jump like this since the M8 and M9 came out.

The M11 is out- keep your M10. My M9 and M Monochrom work just fine. Might look for a lightly used M10, or keep an eye on the A7iv.

Your daughter is beautiful, take lots of pictures. They grow up way too fast.

Prices of some vintage lenses has shot through the roof, I've not seen things jump like this since the M8 and M9 came out.

The M11 is out- keep your M10. My M9 and M Monochrom work just fine. Might look for a lightly used M10, or keep an eye on the A7iv.

Your daughter is beautiful, take lots of pictures. They grow up way too fast.

Thanks Brian, my daugher is indeed growing up fast. Her 4th birthday which we spent in lockdown:

2022-01-17_12-33-39.jpg

News of M11 was what snapped me back into the photography world, mostly out of curiousity. Performance-wise, I've been happy with the M10 so I was never seriously considering the M11.

I should catch up with where the Sony A7 series are now. I'm not very interested in the A7 cameras for still photography but last I checked, they were really performing well as filmmaking cameras too. That reminds me - I should check in on Phillip Bloom to see where he's at with the latest filmmaking tech.

Vintage lenses? Are Canon 50mm LTMs still cheap?

During this pandemic thing, I wish I had more in my life, so that I forgot about the internet. As far as I’m concerned, you’ve been blessed!

Oh I haven't left the internet. In fact, I've been on a very deep dive into the board game world. No, not games like Monopoly or Chess. Boardgaming has really made huge leaps and bounds in the past 10-15 yrs. There are some spectacular games on the market now.

I have a confession to make - i've been using an old Sigma 16mm fisheye lens A LOT, on my M10 (see some of the photos posted above). I've been using it on my M10 via a cheap adapter but because it is not rangefinder coupled, I've been holding the M10 away from my face and focusing/composing via liveview 99.9% of the time even when I'm using a rangefinder-coupled lens.

Leica/rangefinder purists will probably call me a heretic.

2022-01-16_03-57-22.jpg

2022-01-16_03-51-27.jpg

2022-01-16_03-50-30.jpg

Love your photos .... and your daughter! My granddaughter Lucy has just turned 4 :). To me, this is what rangefinder is all about. Not clinical perfection but rather a moment captured.

When I was in Japan, I spent a lot of time in all kinds of camera shops there, it was the only time I actually had the opportunity to play with other cameras. Having used Leicas almost exclusively for years, I did notice that the images from the other cameras looked clinical, at least on the little live view screens. I kinda felt similarly when I transitioned from the M8.2 and M9-P to the M240 too. But when compared to the other branded cameras, the images from the M240 and M10 still looked a little more organic. Not really sure if the resolution of the LV screens and/or the sensors had anything to do with it.

You must have taken a million photos of your granddaughter, I know I have a ton of my daughter. She's in 99% of photos I've taken for the past 4 yrs.

Back