Fuji Before & After: Jacob's Ladder

I used this side-by-side comparison with my students to show the usefulness of shooting in RAW format. The dynamic range is so great there's a tremendous range of highlight & shadow that can be overcome.

Jacob%27s%20Ladder-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's quite an improvement!
When I see comparisons like these, I always wonder how well the jpeg would've fared if it had been pushed that far. Probably not as well as the raw file, but how much of a difference would there be?

Huge improvement, Bob.

Juangrande: IN LR (I use LR5) you can use the luminance slider. It is also possible to use the local adjustments function for dodging/burning (LR5 offers even some D/B presets). Perhaps Bob uses a more advanced method but this one works for me. No need for HDR software or PS.

Peter

It's surprising how much information can be recovered from such an unpromising start.

And it's good to see that Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull is still getting work, and hasn't lost his ability to stand on one leg after all these years.

-R

It's surprising how much information can be recovered from such an unpromising start.

And it's good to see that Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull is still getting work, and hasn't lost his ability to stand on one leg after all these years.

-R

Very nice recovery on the photo and on Ian Anderson's part, as well.:biggrin_old:

-R

Yeah, but he's not playing his flute while walking the rope plank...I'm not impressed under or properly exposed. :p

Back