Before and After: Lets see yours :)

OK, here we go. I was fiddling about with an old shot this morning and then thought a before and after thread might be nice to see. Here's what I did with SnapSeed on my Mac, which I still have (and must remember not to ever delete, since Google killed it off)

IMK55112-nosnap.jpg

IMK55112_Snapseed.jpg

What have you got?

This is one of my favorite before and after combinations. The first is just how Lightroom opened the raw file - the second is after basic adjustments in Lightroom and additional edits in Color Efex Plus... It's not as radical a transformation as some - it just accentuates what needs accentuating. But to me it makes the shot work.

15506078227_045e997943_h.jpg
Last Night Sunset-15
by ramboorider1, on Flickr

14551712857_d9e59c95dd_h.jpg
Last Night Sunset-15-Edit
by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

This is one of my favorite before and after combinations. The first is just how Lightroom opened the raw file - the second is after basic adjustments in Lightroom and additional edits in Color Efex Plus... It's not as radical a transformation as some - it just accentuates what needs accentuating. But to me it makes the shot work.

Last Night Sunset-15 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

Last Night Sunset-15-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Damn right it does. Its a stunner!

This is from my first outing with the X100S...I wasn't going for any particular look with the post processing, it was simply a dynamic range test, just trying to see how far I could push the file before it fell apart, as it turns out I could push it pretty hard whilst still maintaining the quality. Even though the end result is a little HDR-ish I was quite impressed at how malleable the X100S file was.

BEFORE:
8709810424_04e2044c70_h.jpg
Fuji X100s DR test (out of camera)
by Livnius, on Flickr

AND AFTER:
8709809714_7c15e65cd7_h.jpg
Fuji X100s DR test (after LR4.4 post)
by Livnius, on Flickr

I'm gonna have to join in, I love before and afters. I like to see how people process their shots. I just turned my hard drive from my crashed desktop pc into an external hard drive. I'll go through it and find an image to process and put on here.

Oh yes, I remember this one Rajiv! But you never showed us the before... before. Nothing like a FF, eh :)
Yep, pretty amazing recovery. But it's not ANY full frame. Those Sony 24 and 36mp sensors that both Sony and Nikon are using are really insane, particularly at base ISO, where they have the highest DR ratings I've seen. And even slightly better with Nikon's 14-bit uncompressed raw than with Sony's lossy 11-bit. But even with Sony's treatment, I could find incredible amounts of data in it when I had an RX1. And it's not just about insane shadow or highlight recovery - it lets you do all sorts of crazy things in processing before the file starts breaking down and showing it's flaws. My shot above is from the RX1 and I'll never forget watching that thing react as I adjusted the filters in Color Efex Pro and just come to life.

Rajiv, what that a tripod shot at base ISO or handheld at higher ISO? I'm guessing a tripod shot to pull that much out of the shadows without a lot of obvious noise...

My Df doesn't do nearly the tricks at base ISO that these higher res sensors do, but it's soooo good from ISO 800 on up and I live up there for the most part, so a better set of tradeoffs to me...

-Ray

Yep, pretty amazing recovery. But it's not ANY full frame. Those Sony 24 and 36mp sensors that both Sony and Nikon are using are really insane, particularly at base ISO, where they have the highest DR ratings I've seen. And even slightly better with Nikon's 14-bit uncompressed raw than with Sony's lossy 11-bit. But even with Sony's treatment, I could find incredible amounts of data in it when I had an RX1. And it's not just about insane shadow or highlight recovery - it lets you do all sorts of crazy things in processing before the file starts breaking down and showing it's flaws. My shot above is from the RX1 and I'll never forget watching that thing react as I adjusted the filters in Color Efex Pro and just come to life.

Rajiv, what that a tripod shot at base ISO or handheld at higher ISO? I'm guessing a tripod shot to pull that much out of the shadows without a lot of obvious noise...

My Df doesn't do nearly the tricks at base ISO that these higher res sensors do, but it's soooo good from ISO 800 on up and I live up there for the most part, so a better set of tradeoffs to me...

-Ray

I have some friends who upgraded to the Nikon 800E and I was seriously impressed with the shots that one of them was making. (The other doesnt really... well.. you know... it aint the camera, its the photographer, and all that). I wish wish wish I could have a decent FF, but nearly all are too heavy for me, and I really don't want to cart a tripod for absolutely every shot. I've been tempted by the Sonys but they are a good couple of years off, for me so no doubt something else will attract in the interim. May have to get an RX1.

Back