Before and After: Lets see yours :)

Before......
b4nafter.jpg

...and after.
16173664179_024b1f4d98_b.jpg

Summer Holidays - Greenmount Bay Sunset
by Livnius, on Flickr

Almost a sense of motion on the back half there, which is really contrasty and interesting with how blatantly sedentary the front half is. Like the dream involves running, but it doesn't reach the head.

Almost a sense of motion on the back half there, which is really contrasty and interesting with how blatantly sedentary the front half is. Like the dream involves running, but it doesn't reach the head.

I added a little motion blur in post. I liked the straight shot well enough, but I felt that blur made it look more like "art" than a snapshot of my dog. Sometimes I try a little harder because I feel guilty of doing too many pet photos. But one must shoot what they love, right?

I added a little motion blur in post. I liked the straight shot well enough, but I felt that blur made it look more like "art" than a snapshot of my dog. Sometimes I try a little harder because I feel guilty of doing too many pet photos. But one must shoot what they love, right?

One must.. Never feel guilty about shooting your pets. I'm wishing I still had one to photograph too much :)

Nice work with this one Luke, the color and contrast adjustments really bring life to the image.

I have to say though, I'm always amazed at what can be achieved these days with the various cloning tools out there...was this with Photoshop?

Nice work with this one Luke, the color and contrast adjustments really bring life to the image.

I have to say though, I'm always amazed at what can be achieved these days with the various cloning tools out there...was this with Photoshop?

Joe, all of this was done with Photoshop Elements 12 (no need for the full Photoshop ever for anything I have done....and I have done some heavy manipulations). I tried the "content-aware" repair tool, but some spots it struggles to interpret "how" to do it. When "content-aware" fails, I go old school.....it takes a little longer but is much better for tricky areas with borders (like where the fur meets the pavement) or areas where one has different texture. I had a few dances with the "undo" button, but I could certainly have done it better if the photo was going to be anything more than a share here and then forgotten.

I don't spend too much time finessing photos anymore because I realize I never DO anything with them. I tart 'em up a bit to make them a bit better than the average, I share them and then I forget about them.

But you're right, the modern clone tools (even when they're a couple years old) are amazing.

I call this "Ohio Upside Down", since it literally is upside down (reflection in a beaver pond). I don't remember why I cropped the 'after' image tighter, but I did try to improve the color and contrast without any "fill" or other similar modifications.

BEFORE:
image.jpg

AFTER:
image.jpg

Back