Before and After: Lets see yours :)

Another color-to-monochrome conversion. The original digital negative was taken with the standard kit zoom lens on my GX7, recently, at a friend's wedding. This particular shot was of the father of the bride, who had traveled from Japan to Oregon to see his Japanese daughter married to an American; since he didn't speak a word of English, here he's getting a simultaneous translation from a younger family friend who is bilingual -

P1010114.jpg

The black and white conversion was done in Lightroom, using the X-Equals preset/plugin for a relatively rare (over here, anyway) but cool older film, Fortepan 100 - originally made in Hungrary by the now-defunct Forte film company. Fortepan 100 was both fine-grained and relatively high contrast - an obscure competitor to Fujifilm's Acros, but with slightly different tonal characteristics -

It came out like this -

17240644370_43ccbaa803_b.jpg

Father of the Bride
by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

- which works much better for me.

Last edited:
Another Before-and-After. Taken with my digital Olympus Pen E-P1 - shot in both RAW & JPEG - and processed in Lightroom 5. Here is the original SOOC (Straight-Out-of-Camera) JPEG -

18886100118_90b85de49a_b.jpg

Intellect/Perception (SOOC JPEG)
by Miguel Tejada-Flores, on Flickr

Not bad, but it didn't totally work for me.

So I tried a black-and-white conversion, using one of the X-Equals presets (which mimics the tonalities of an obscure black & white negative film, Forte Fortepan) -

19076982081_4e366aeec9_b.jpg

Intellect/Perception (Fortepan X-Equals)
by Miguel Tejada-Flores, on Flickr

I liked this a little better but it still wasn't what I wanted.

So I went back to the original color DNG/negative - and this time used another X-Equals LR5 preset, one which emulates some of the characteristics of Portra film - specifically adding higher contrast, losing a little shadow detail, more intensely saturated colors, and a few other subtle changes from the original. And the result -

38615468.22ddc058.1024.jpg

Intellect/Perception
by MiguelATF, on ipernity

- was what I had been looking for.....and finally found, after a few circuitous detours.

Here's an instance of not having enough zoom.... and shooting through dirty glass.
22199864490_245b12f3d8_c.jpg
DSC00489
by Luke, on Flickr

heavy crop and wanted it to look and feel more autumnal (my whole living room is glowing orange right now underneath this massive maple tree, so these colors are actually more accurate).

21763922414_efb37d3e16_c.jpg
a sunny breakfast nook
by Luke, on Flickr

That not only worked, the squirrel could be seen as an untouched image - detail pops out very well.

I was playing with this over-exposed shot to see what, if anything, I could do with it. REasonably happy with the results.

TempImage.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TempImage.jpg

IMG_0717.JPG

Not sure if that last is a bit overcooked. I used Snapseed for all of it.

Long time since anyone posted in here.

I liked the shot of this horse but wanted the trainer gone. I've been playing with Affinity this week past to try and get a handle on it. Took a few tries to get to this point and I can still see some room for improvement, but overall, I'm satisfied. I don't do much of this type of editing as a rule.

52273255024_6ba9cc6290_o.jpg
DSC06179 by telecast, on Flickr

52268174350_b33cf230d7_o.jpg
DSC06179 by telecast, on Flickr

Back