Being as I've been stalking these pages for over a week I feel its time to say hello!

Jason Joseph

As the title says, I've been here...meandering about, soaking up as much of the grapes of tech knowledge as I've been enjoying the banter and proclivity for friendly engagement.
My name is Jason Joseph, I'm a full time professional photographer, born raised, and based in New York. A bit about me, I went to school to learn to shoot table top advertising imagery, and I wound up shooting people feverishly. It all sort of happened by accident.
Here I am many many many years later, and I was having a discussion with Amin, we were talking shop... waxing poetic and the idea of me doing a review or two was pondered. I was flattered. Share my thoughts about tech? Yes please! I was simultaneously equal parts flattered and anxious... anxious to explore something new and do so knowing Id be able to share my insights with someone and perhaps even help them better understand a piece of gear they may not have the opportunity to get their hands on in the town or country they are in without making the commitment to own.
We talked it over and while the site is geared towards compacts, I voiced to Amin, how enthralled I am with how "compact" the sensors of days gone by have become... meaning, what was once a medium format luxury, has now become a DSLR normalcy. The convo quickly turned to the D800. Suddenly Grand Prix performance chip wise was being shoehorned into the NASCAR circuit ( Hey.. lil NASCAR on the brain, I have a good buddy who runs the NHRA circuit.. and he was on a video call with me today from the track where NASCAR is racing this weekend.. color me a few shades of jealous!... just a slight tinge of it ! ) ... I digress... shoehorned into the NASCAR bodies we'd been tooling round the track with in the past years. We discussed how this trickle down effect is headed to compacts, how the dynamic range truly matters, and how interested we both were to see what this puppy could do.
So... I ask you this... Would you like to see a review here of the D800? Im in love with more than a handful of current compacts, I have a general affinity for all cameras, and Ya gotta admit... its awfully hard not to like a camera that on paper, changes history. Id love to review it, if its something you'd dig reading.. and I have a very special subject, the author of many celebrity biographies. A fella with more stories than one tour with a rock band could match, and the shoot we have been planing for months is something Id love to share with you all here first exclusively. But Im on your turf.... so I ask humbly.. if you dig it.. cool.. if not... that's cool too, Ill still be glad to be here for all the great info!

Be well
~j.j.

welcome j.j.
the main thrust of the site is compacts (with a very broad definition), but I believe ANYTHING goes (except for politics and religion thankfully). While I would NEVER buy one, I'd LOVE to read a review. The cool thin about a smallish community type forum is that if one doesn't like something, they can simply hit the back button.
I say bring it on!

I would love to see it. I may replace my D7000 with a D800 someday, but for now I await the Xpro1. A good friend of mine in Albany who shoots stock for Getty, is waiting for his D800, and I am eager to hear his account of it as well. Your idea of making the review part of a shoot flies well with me. Welcome, by the way.

Welcome, and yes, I'd definitely be interested in a D800 review. Isn't it a seriously compact MF performance delivering package, after all?;)

G'day from Down Under Jason. Glad you came out of the woodwork and hope you enjoy this little cosy corner of the web. Can't wait to see some images mate (y)

Lunk, Armanius, CP ( is it cool I call you CP??), Luckypenguin ( man that name has me curious...),Bilzmale,Julien, Stillshunter....Thank you all so much for taking time to respond! Lucky.. I think the answer to your question is perhaps.. that they dont need. Though there are other aspects to the sensor that could be very enticing.. like the dynamic range. Cant truly say till we get our hands on one though. Perhaps we shall see. Dxo had a great review of it this past week. I must say I really do like the vibe here on this forum. Seems like a great bunch!

Be well
~j.j.

This forum is mainly for all things compact. BUT, what we use and classify as "compact", really is a trickle down from "normal", and what is new in all things not compact, actually affects us also. I will personally not be buying the D800, but I also am very interested in the latest advances in the technology. I also shot a DSLR (K20). So my vote is, BRING IT ON! :2thumbs:

Back