Best Camera for Legacy Glass?

NEX-7 has peaking. From my point of view that settles it :)

I think my worry perhaps is that I've only ever had bodies with IBIS (until my current X100) and I'm not sure if peaking or IBIS would be of more value.
I had been thinking about picking up a used NEX 3 or 5 simply to try peaking and see what I think.

I use peaking all the time on my A77. It's one of those killer features that the other makers don't have a clue about. The first time you use peaking, you say, oh WOW!

I've been using an Olympus EP2 for a while now and using some Canon FD lenses which I've really enjoyed using but I find the manual focus zooming a pain on the EP2 as there is no dedicated zoom button :(

I'm just wondering what peoples favourite setup is for manual glass as I'm currently reviewing my kit as its dwindled to just the EP2, VF2, 17mm and a Canon 50 f1.8 and I'm not sure which direction to take!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
To me it sounds like what you really want (or need) is a native (AF or MF) lens. Changing to another system may not solve the problem.

I think the focus peaking feature is a matter of taste, and not an automatic remedy for the problem. I've got a dual peaking system in my GXR which is nice, and I've also played with the NEX system, as well as used the display magnification in E-P2 with both native and legacy lenses. I think the choice between those three (four) approaches is a matter of taste, and none of them is automatically the best for everyone.

I don't think the combination of a E-P2 and a VF-2 is too bad at all, even without the magnification. It's a bit like having a pure matte focusing screen in a film SLR camera. In fact, I like it almost more than the pop-up magnification that comes on with a native mFT lens. It's a slightly different story without the VF-2, though.

I'm actually quite fond of the form factor of the E-P2. I think it's actually one of the nicest in the mFT and smaller CSC range. Since you (apparently) only have just one Canon legacy lens, I'd suggest that you trade it for some nice native lens, like the m.Zuiko 45mm. If you want manual focus with all the comfort of the PEN system, get a Voigtländer Nokton instead.

As for the "call vote" for the favourite setup for manual glass, well, the #1 favourite would of course be the native mount camera. Anything that doesn't involve adapters.
For example, Nikon for Nikkors, Sony for Minolta AF lenses, Leica or Ricoh GXR for Leica M lenses and so on, and for new manual lenses from Samyang, Voigtländer etc. the body the lenses are made for. They are available for a variety of mounts, including mFT.

For the older manual lenses which need an apdapter, my favourites are the aforementioned GXR for M lenses, and then maybe Samsung NX 2x0, because it has a nice UI and a nice sensor with a weak AA filter. Another favourite would be the E-P2, because it has such a nice, simple yet rugged design and UI, although it has a smaller sensor with a more traditional AA filtering.

Only one of those has focus peaking, but IMO the overall features of the camera outweigh the importance of just one feature, like the focus peaking. One obvious favourite could of course be the native (film) body for the lens, if you aren't allergic to film.

Suppose that's a long way of saying that, if you like the PEN with the mFT lenses, don't sell it, sell the Canon lens instead, and get a native mFT lens. You'll be much happier that way, with or without focus peaking. :)

Without a doubt NEX cameras work best for manual focus legacy lenses. I've been using m43 bodies for the past 2-3 years (everything from the E-P1 to GH2) with and without EVFs and none of them comes close to being as easy to use with manual focus lenses than the NEX. I just bought a NEXC3 (on a whim) and I am floored by how simple it is to use my old Konica lenses with it. It has completely changed how I think about my cameras and which ones I grab first. Focus peaking work very very well and I'm abe to use the LCD only and get fast accurate focus under almost any conditions. Even bright sun is not an issue because the NEX has a "sunny weather" setting for the LCD that makes it pretty easy to see even in bright conditions where the LCD would otherwise wash out. I'm a big fan of legacy glass and have a fair amount of time invested in m43 and my experience with the NEX has been so delightful that I am seriously considering selling all but one m43 body and lens and making NEX my main system.

How very dare you! :eek:

Chris, where in Scotland are you? Just thinking if you wanted to meet and have a shot of the NEX for a couple of hours. I'm split between Glasgow and St Andrews/Dundee.

Well I've ended up with an OMD!! and I've managed to get a wide native glass collection with it (9-18mm, 14mm, 25mm & 45mm) so will likely only use legacy glass for longer stuff (Konica 135mm) the stabilised EVF makes it wonderful to use!

wow after all that, you just decided to buy the entire store! Who needs legacy glass when you have a banker in your corner ;)

I picked up a Fuji XP1 and didn't really like it as much, traded it the 35mm and 18mm for this kit as someone fancied trying the XP1, couldn't be happier with the OMD, its excellent with the HLD6 grip

The Micro 4/3 cameras were never the easiest to manually focus with. I almost always used the magnified view which requires a two stage process for focusing and composition. It's not really an issue now since after picking up an Olympus 45/1.8 my legacy lens adventure has basically come to an end. The 25/1.4 and 45/1.8 now well and truly cover my most commonly used manual focus lenses.

The Micro 4/3 cameras were never the easiest to manually focus with. I almost always used the magnified view which requires a two stage process for focusing and composition. It's not really an issue now since after picking up an Olympus 45/1.8 my legacy lens adventure has basically come to an end. The 25/1.4 and 45/1.8 now well and truly cover my most commonly used manual focus lenses.

I'd agree with you its not easy but its better on the OMD than it was on my EP2, even just being able to set a shortcut for the magnified view is a step up from the EP2.

I do think the focus peaking in the NEX is ideal for legacy glass but on a native front I feel the NEX is lacking v the OMD and the m4/3 lineup both in lenses and bodies.

Now that I have the 25mm and 45mm native lenses its really just going to be for the few few times I use a telephoto prime that I need MF for, and to be honest with the current prices I'm likely to pickup something like the 45-200 anyway at some point.

With the P14, P20 and O45 I tend to agree that there is little need for legacy lenses on an m43 body. With the 2x crop factor legacy lenses provided some interesting opportunities for fast telephoto lenses prior to the introduction of the 45/1.8. I too found that manually focusing wasn't the best experience on m43. It works but when you compare it to doing it a platform that really does it well like the NEX you can really see how clumsy it on on m43 (even with an EVF).

I am finding that my NEX with 24/2.8 and 50/1.4 legacy lenses is just as capable and convenient a kit. It really depends what you're looking for experience wise. Right now, I'll grab the NEX and sme manual focus glass over any of my m43 bodies with native glass almost always. It might be that I'm still in the infatuation stage of a new camera but it sure gives me pleasing results and is a lot more fun to use. Part of it for me is that I tend or tweak the focus manually to get the image the way I want it so the advantage of having AF is really minimized.

Back