Ricoh Best complimentary longer lens cam to go with GR?

stovi

Regular
I'm in love with my GR. It's that simple.

I'd still however like to find a convenient replacement for my DSLR for candid portraits and any time I need a bit more length e.g. around 80mm equiv.

The GR has shown me the great advantage of having something that fits in your pocket. It's also proven to me you can have a really small camera that still works ergonomically and takes APS-C quality pics.

Without going into details I'm looking at a range of options like the Panny GM1 and Olly EM10 but am not convinced which way to go or if there is something else which will be closer to my GR experience at a longer length.

So what are you using to compliment your GR?

Cheers!
stovi

Yeah, the DPM3 if you mostly want to shoot in good light. If you want to shoot in lower light and keep things small(ish), I don't think you can do much better than an m43 body and something like the Olympus 45mm f1.8 lens. It's not a pancake - it does protrude forward a little, but it's an overall small lens and you can pair it with anything from a larger GH4 / EM1 to a really small EPM2 / GM1. It won't be pocketable like the GR, but with the right body it's probably coat pocketable, gives you 90mm reach, and between the 1.8 aperture and the good sensors in current m43 bodies, it'll be at least as good in low light as your GR (sensor maybe half a stop worse, but lens about a stop and a half or so faster).

Other than this, you're probably looking at one of the new zooming compacts. The Canon G1X looks like it will be pretty good, if not quite as fast at that focal length. The LX7 is quite fast up to it's 90mm max, but it's sensor is pretty limited. There are tradeoffs with everything, but if you want to stay reasonably small, I'd go with a GM1 or EPM2/EPL5 and the Olympus 45mm at this point... And, of course, you can always add a lens or two at other focal lengths if you feel the need later...

-Ray

+1 on m43+45mm 1.8 also. You can get an epm2 or epl5 instead of gm1 if you want to save money. They have also Sony sensor like GR.

Nick, I am intrigued by the Sigma but based on reviews my instinct is it's not quite the one for me. The results I've seen from it are superb though.

Thanks Ray. Yeah the Olympus 45mm 1.8 is the lens I'm looking at. The GM1 is looking favourite right now depending on how it actually feels and works in my hands. I've seen a nice custom grip for it too which should help.

Cheers!

Andrew the Leica is indeed nice. I'd rather keep the price under a uk grand though.

grillec: Everything on paper about the fuji xe2 says it would fit the bill, but i sold my x100 as I never got on with it. In particular the jumpy focusing and easy to knock dials. It puts me off going that way again. Good suggestion though as the zoom would cover a nice range to compliment the GR.

There's only 2 things stopping me hitting buy on the GM1 now. Firstly I've never used 4/3 sensors and I suspect I'll be cropping everything to 3:2. Secondly, I just know I'll buy a 17mm at some point and end up leaving my fantastic Ricoh at home.. Neither are deal breakers but enough to make me mull over it a little longer.

Ricoh need to bring a new serious compact APSC ILC out I think!

If you're looking for a faster prime lens in a relatively compact package, it would have to be the Olympus 45/1.8 with any number of Micro 4/3 bodies or the Samsung 45/1.8 with one of their NX cameras. The first works out to be a bit longer than 80mm equivalent, and the second a bit shorter.

Another vote for the Oly 45/1.8. That lens has always made it tough for me to stay away from m4/3s. Can't get that overall value/size proposition anywhere else that I am aware of.

Another vote for the DP2M or DP3M. The DP2M is easily jacket pocketable, whereas the DP3M will require rather larger pockets. Besides their unmatched IQ, the batteries and charger for the Merrills are identical to the ones for the GR. And the wider angle converter for the Ricoh works excellently with the DP2M. One charger, a few batteries, a GR & wide angle converter & DP2M will give you 21, 28, 34, 45mm equivalent focal lengths and outstanding IQ for street, landscape, stills, environmental portraits.

Well, in my case it would have to a DP3M because I own one. At f3.2 the results are wonderful for portrait work, imho.

LouisB

And another vote for the Olympus 45/1.8. I have mine on the EM-5 without the grip, or the GH3. I've been considering the GM1 and using it with the Pana 14/2.5, Oly 17/1.8 an 45/1.8.

I do have the GR, and I love it. But another option is to find a GXR with M-module and get a Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5. I can't say enough about the magic this combination creates as an artistic portrait camera. Although, this setup will cost a fair bit more than your <$1000 budget.

Another non expensive option if you can find one would be a K-01 with the DA 40/2.8 XS (60mm eq).
Around the same size of the DP3M but a bit heavier (but with a longer battery life too).
And with the saved money you can add another pancake like the DA 70 Ltd (105mm eq) or the DA15 Ltd (22.5mm eq) that will fit a jacket pocket.

DA 40 XS :
8112420149_a16cdc5ea3_c.jpg

_IGP3534 by nzkphotography, on Flickr

7894637508_e250b44c93_c.jpg

Toothpick by nzkphotography, on Flickr

Kirk Tuck is a fan, FWIW.

Really interesting thoughts all! Enjoyed reading this and going off and looking into all the different cameras you are using alongside a GR.

I've actually decided that the m43/45mm 1.8 is a very good choice for me. However, since that lens is arguably going to make the camera not always pocketable, I might as well go for something with a few dials and maybe even tilting screen. The GR will be my always in the pocket option. The M43 will go in addition to the Ricoh, when I actually plan to take shots.

The new EM10 is apparently a similar size to the Stylus so I'm thinking I'll put one of them on preorder. It looks to me to get the size/handling thing right. Also the fast AF pulls me in. I want to perhaps sometimes forget I'm using the camera when doing my candid stuff.

This should mean my big DSLR only comes out on safari, in my other life as a wildlife togger (http://gplus.to/carlstovell)

Cheers!

If its of any help Im using the A7+55mm, its big for mirrorless puposes is like in between the OMD+P25 or O75 size. Yet still small, specially when compared to even fuji plus some of their lenses. but the IQ, and overall handling and operation...is simply stunning.

In fact, thats my kit,

GR
A7+55mm

Also have a 35mm summilux when I only want to carry just one camera.

I really like my current set up to go with the GR, but I am not 100% sold long term. I have a small m4/3 (epl5) with an evf and a couple of primes. I really like keeping things simple, leaving the house with two small cameras plus one lens in the bag. So I end up switching between paired cameras - the GR plus the EPL5 with the 45mm f1.8 (80% of the time), or the GR with wide angle lens (now no longer tiny) plus the EPL5 with the 20mm f1.7 and the VF removed (now tiny). 28 + 90 vs 21 + 40, with one a pocket cam and one a little bigger. (That's assuming I want one of them to be really small for street, which I usually do.)
Happy with this, and I've come to love the live view blinkies on the OLY. But I'm no longer so sure that I need my second camera and lens to be so compact when the GR takes care of so much for me. I could easily have something bigger like an A7 with a smaller prime or three, or a K3 or K5iis. And then there's the question of IQ. I'm fine with m4/3, especially now that I've learned to shoot carefully at base ISO with a great prime and ETTR. But detail with the GR just seems to be that little bit better, even when you just put it in P and shoot carelessly in comparison. So it makes me wonder. But I'm going to sit tight for the year, I think. Maybe add a Merrill if I'm really jonesing for resolution.

From Stovi's flickr account, it looks like he with the Olympus E-M10 and a few primes, including the 17/1.8, 45/1.8 and 75/1.8. His work is great, and black and white fans should check it out.

It's about two years after the original post, and my recommendations would stay the same. I'm still using the GM1 and a few primes, usually the 25/1.8 and 45/1.8 for portrait or more tele work. The GR and/or Panasonic LX7 still ride in the bag after all this time.

A Sigma DP2M came to the stable in January 2016, and I still can't bond with it. The skin tones can be way off, it's annoyingly hit and miss. It also blows highlights much more easily than the original DP1 and DP2, so I'm in the position of having to underexpose and then bring up the shadows in post, which doesn't work as well as I'd like. Operationally, it is much better than the original cameras, except for the huge lagtime of clearing the buffer and writing to the card. It's even longer than the original cameras, which are as slow as snails dragging pails of molasses up a very steep hill. So, I'd be hesitant to recommend a DP Merrill camera.

Back