Fuji Best film simulation for B&W conversions?

Using an X30 . . other than shooting RAW . . is there a benefit, or does anyone have a preference, to shooting any particular color simulation mode (e.g. Velvia, Classic Chrome, etc.) if planning to do B&W conversions as an option in post processing? I would think that the different contrast and colour saturation levels would translate differently in a B&W conversion?

I almost always use Velvia with my X30, which I mainly take on hikes. The extra saturation of that simulation makes for excellent b&w conversions. Of course, one could add saturation in pp whilst using a different simulation as well.

I would think that the different contrast and colour saturation levels would translate differently in a B&W conversion?

It would, if just doing a straight conversion, the colours would affect the contrast of the B&W conversion. Merlin uses Velvia, this would produce contrasty and punchy B&Ws because of Velvia's colour saturation. Provia on the otherhand would give you a more subdued and less contrasty B&W.

If there is a benefit for shooting as such? I guess it really depends on who's behind the camera. Personally I rather just shoot raw, but if you like the output from the film simulation conversions to B&W you should go for it.

If I have a colour image that I am desaturating in post my workflow is:

1. Boost saturation in PS
2. Flip into Topaz for mono conversion
3. Back into PS
4. Boost contrast

In-camera I just use Acros ;)

DSCF2818b&w.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Well . . for what it's worth, here's one that started as PRO Neg Hi . . works well for skin tones I think.

Back