Fuji Best macro solution for X-T1?

mesmerized

Regular
Howdy,

I've just watched a video review of XF 60mm f/2.4 and according to the reviewer the lens has huge problems with focusing...

1) What would be the best macro lens for the X-system then?
2) 60mm x1.5 crop factor gives us 90mm which would be great for portraits... Do you use this lens for such purposes?

Thanks

Good afternoon.

It would be inappropriate to say that the 60mm has "huge problems" with focussing; it is one of the slowest lenses to focus, but when it does it is spot-on. It is a macro lens remember, with a long focus travel; if it misses it racks in and out until it locks on. That said, for macro you don't need AF anyway; a Leica 60mm Elmarit-R with an adaptor would be a good choice, or something from Olympus would find favour with me.

Personally, today I use the 56mm for portraits.

I use a Lester A. Dine 105mm lens. I like a longer working distance for macro so I don't block the light source. Of course there is no AF, but I don't mind MF for macro anyways. But I felt that the Fuji 60mm lens AF was so poor that I sold it. If I am going to be forced to use manual focus, I prefer a lens that was designed to be used as a manual focus lens.

I just got a Tamron 52BB 90mm 2.5. It's 1:2 like the Fuji 60mm although you can get a 1:1 adapter. With the crop factor, is it 1:1.5?

Attachments

• DSCF9445-Edit-1.jpg
    DSCF9445-Edit-1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 344
I'd personally favor something manual for macro. I've used Zuikos and Micro-Nikkors on my NEXes and didn't miss autofocus for a second.

i have heard nothing about another macro lens (and frankly, the 60mm isn't a true macro to start with) so I would assume that Fuji is not interested in making and selling them. If they do try to make another, please make it capable of 1:1, make it in the 90-105mm range and include a focus limiter so it is quicker to focus.

Pity. It'd be nice to have a proper Fuji-made macro lens.

On a different note, another lens I really envy m43 users is the 75mm f/1.8 portrait glass. It must be so convenient to take portraits from a distance. I often find myself in a situation where I'd like to take a "spy-mode" portrait of a person if you know what I mean... Some street-life shots are best taken when a person is not even aware of being photographed.

How do you do it with Fuji? 56 f/1.2 is not long enough I suppose.

I just pre-ordered my Touit 50mm macro today but its not coming out here in Denmark until the end of the month, it's going to be a long few weeks of waiting. I have the Fuji 60mm and although it is slow to focus I don't really have any problems with it.

Ive just switched to the X-mount system with XT1 body... I currently have the 23 and have been considering the Tamron 90mm F2.8 Di macro (the older version with aperture ring.. It would require an adapter too.. I would really like the Zeiss Touit 50mm macro too but im concerned that 50mm is too short. Im not fussed about AF as i never use AF for macros anyway...

Are there any other suggestions, in the 90mm+ range?

How do you do it with Fuji? 56 f/1.2 is not long enough I suppose.

The m43 75mm with the crop factor ends up being a 150mm lens (35mm). The 56mm f1.2 is 86mm (35mm) so its not even close in terms of reach.. You will need a x-mount lense in the 100mm to have the same reach as the m43 75mm..

I think it will be awhile before you see Fuji considering this lens given they have the focus on longer zooms for this year and into next.. Given that Zeiss have produced a Touit 50mm macro for the x-mount if that is successful i would hope they would consider producing a longer version down the track i.e. 100mm macro , which would make an excellent portrait lens just as other 100mm macros typical do.

Fuji could of solved a lot of the focusing problems with a focus limiting switch. Keeps the lens from hunting all over the place.
There may be others, but the Fuji is the first macro I've ever seen without it. Pretty much standard feature on an autofocus macro lens.
Is there a focus limit switch on the new Zeiss?

anyone tried the tamron 90 with adaptor? i would be really interested in seeing the sample photos of lets say a bee or a fly or something

Back