best "sweep panorama" compact/CSC?

And a group for RX100 panos (don't adjust your screen....there is someone in this group doing 3D panos (if you have some red/cyan glasses....try 'em out)........

As a matter of fact I do :cool: (working on a 3D movie at the moment)... ouch... those 3D panos are a bit painful to look at :)

Thanks for those links, Luke! There's some beautiful work, especially in the Fuji forum.
Will definitely have a closer look at these later.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

My old Canon Gn cameras had a panorama feature that wasn't automatic but worked pretty well. It set the exposure with the first image, then gave you an on-LCD guide for overlapping your images - which you would snapped one by one until you decided you had enough. Then into Canon's supplied software (believe they called it PhotoStitch) and voilá!

Coincidentally, today I was watching a couple video tutorials on using Lightroom and Photoshop to create panoramas. Easy to tune up the first image in Lightroom, then sync it with all the others before going into CS Photomerge. If I were interested in creating a "serious" pano, that would be my preferred approach.

Coincidentally, today I was watching a couple video tutorials on using Lightroom and Photoshop to create panoramas. Easy to tune up the first image in Lightroom, then sync it with all the others before going into CS Photomerge. If I were interested in creating a "serious" pano, that would be my preferred approach.

That's pretty much what I'm doing right now (stitching in Photoshop).

The reason why I'm looking for in-camera-options though, is that with this approach I don't know until I'm back home if the composition I was going for worked or didn't work.

With in-camera-panos it's easy enough to try a few different angles, and then decide which one works best compositionally (e.g. a lower cameraposition with more ground in frame?, or angling the camera up a bit?, etc.)

What might be ideal is if the camera did in-camera stitching, but also saved the single shots? (so you could stitch them yourself on your computer in case the camera-stitching didn't quite work)
Do any of the cameras do that?

hmm, so many options :) Thanks everyone for their input so far!

Does anyone have experience with how well the in-camera-panos work with trees/foliage?

Most examples I've seen so far are landscapes with blue skies...
These are two shots I took on sunday - would the in-camera panos run into problems with the trees/branches/river?

How big are you printing? The Sony RX100 quality of Pano is mainly driven by how you manage rotating the device, and how you control for perspective distortion. But, I've only used them for simple on-screen viewing. If you were printing large, I've no idea if there would be any issues.

Here's another I did. This was handheld, on a tripod. You can see some challenges with the stitching
9399194148_d981bef968_c.jpg
20130729-20130729-DSC04101 by wt2100, on Flickr

How big are you printing? The Sony RX100 quality of Pano is mainly driven by how you manage rotating the device, and how you control for perspective distortion. But, I've only used them for simple on-screen viewing. If you were printing large, I've no idea if there would be any issues.

Here's another I did. This was handheld, on a tripod. You can see some challenges with the stitching

Haven't printed any of these panos yet (might be a good opportunity to try out roll paper :) )

At this point I'm less concerned about detail, I was only wondering if I would end up with a lot of "chopped off" / misaligned tree trunks & branches... Or if todays camera-stitching works just fine with this.

Thanks for the additional example! Looks pretty good to me!
The only problems I could spot was the two heads right in front of camera - which is to be expected and probably would have been a problem for software solutions too.

Back