Big camera not so big.

Landshark

PhotoDog
Name
Bob
This week I had to go up to SF to shoot some back plates for a job I just shot in Vancouver.
Traveling alone for the first time in years, I had to shoot and carry on my own, two full size dslrs, to tell you the truth at the end of the day and after shooting over 2,000 images in one day with the Canon 5d, I did not find the camera's size to be a problem in any wayView attachment 63315

I'm not the photographer you are, but lately I started using my D700 again (I usually take an old Nikon 20mm F3.5, a Voigtlander 40mm, and a Voigtlander 58mm) + the X100. Today I hiked for 5 hours with my dogs carrying that and didn't have any problems. I'm 52 years old and weigh 155 lbs. I'm off for the next two weeks and decided to see if I wanted to keep the Nikon. I'm going to just use it and the X100. After seeing what I got today, I am definitely keeping it. The zooms are going because I just don't like zoom lenses. I end up twisting them back and forth trying to decide. I'm just not a good enough photographer for zoom lenses. I will keep the Voigtlanders, + Nikon 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. I had this really nice 24mm but had to sell it due to some financial issues (that was a great lens). I think the Canon is the better camera, but I really do love that Nikon. It's just not that big or heavy. I also like the fact that the controls are easy to use. When the release the next X100 I hope they do something about that little wheel on the back which drives me crazy.

I'm not the photographer you are, but lately I started using my D700 again (I usually take an old Nikon 20mm F3.5, a Voigtlander 40mm, and a Voigtlander 58mm) + the X100. Today I hiked for 5 hours with my dogs carrying that and didn't have any problems. I'm 52 years old and weigh 155 lbs. I'm off for the next two weeks and decided to see if I wanted to keep the Nikon. I'm going to just use it and the X100. After seeing what I got today, I am definitely keeping it. The zooms are going because I just don't like zoom lenses. I end up twisting them back and forth trying to decide. I'm just not a good enough photographer for zoom lenses. I will keep the Voigtlanders, + Nikon 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. I had this really nice 24mm but had to sell it due to some financial issues (that was a great lens). I think the Canon is the better camera, but I really do love that Nikon. It's just not that big or heavy. I also like the fact that the controls are easy to use. When the release the next X100 I hope they do something about that little wheel on the back which drives me crazy.

An alternative view might be that you are too good a photographer for zooms :cool:

Arms like Popeye, Bob? :D I've used my little XSi for four--hmm five?.. years and don't find it a problem, granted it is baby dslr in comparison. Smaller cameras are nice for pocketing, for on the go convenience but I don't find a dslr at all intolerable to dangle at my side. Had a hand strap for three years and it swung from my hand, now a black rapid and it hangs at my hip. Big cameras aren't a bad thing, it's nice to have the option of both big and small.

I moved back to a 5D classic, and after pursuing compacts for the last 3 years, I have found the 5D isn't the bear I used to think. Having said that, I am still pleased that I can own a camera like the RX100 and the EPL3. At mu-43, we started a "full frame image thread." Maybe start one here, too?

The last time I brought out my Canon 50D (with 10-20mm and 24-105mm lenses) it wasn't so much that it was too heavy, although it is undoubtedly bulkier than any similar CSC setup, but instead it was that I felt conspicuous carrying it and that I missed the live-view interface of the smaller cameras.

Honestly if I was shooting just for me I would still rather shoot with my XPro, prime lens and all, I just found it interesting that carring a 5d with the 24-70 f2.8 in my hand all day was no problem, with the use of it or any more people paying attention to me, over any else that I use. Also don't write off zooms nothing else will produce as many differnt images in a short time than a fast zoom on of these dslrs.

Honestly if I was shooting just for me I would still rather shoot with my XPro, prime lens and all, I just found it interesting that carring a 5d with the 24-70 f2.8 in my hand all day was no problem, with the use of it or any more people paying attention to me, over any else that I use. Also don't write off zooms nothing else will produce as many differnt images in a short time than a fast zoom on of these dslrs.

I hear you, and agree. I was kidding about the zooms...

I don't currently use zooms, but that is by choice based on what and how I now shoot. When they haven't delivered it's largely because the goofball behind the camera has not used them to advantage.

A while back I was on a job where I used 2 DSLRs with a 24-70 and a 70-200. Sometimes I carried both, but usually just one. It was a 12 hour shoot. No big deal, and incredibly versatile for the rapidly evolving scenes. The entire bag of kit was bulky, but I didn't lug it around, and it was necessary.

I'm down to four cameras now- D700, Fuji S5, X Pro, and X100. I still prefer my X Pro and X100. I am currently going through a resurgent Indian Summer (the Sinatra version :) ) love affair with my X100 (if only that little wheel wasn't so fiddly). I have a 24-70 and 70-200. I just never use the 70-200. I think my eyesight is so bad that I can't really see things at that distance. Not that it would help photographically if I could actually see well. Anyway, I am going to sell that one and keep the 24-70 for a while. I'm headed out shortly with the dogs. We are off for two weeks for the Xmas break. I decided today to just take the D700 + 35mm F1.4 + X Pro and 35mm. That Fuji 35 is really a great lens. I honestly think it as good as the Nikon ones that cost a lot more. We are going downtown first then out to the nature trails. I don't what it is about that Fuji X Pro but for a lot of things the colors/look is just so beautiful. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's different than any other camera I've ever used. After a suggestion here I started using it at ISO 3400. I took it out last night and was shooting it around town. Really interesting look, especially when converted to B/W. Anyway, back on topic, when I can stop carrying the D700 I'll be worried. I remember living in Boston for years. I had to carry everything because I didn't own a car. So maybe I'm just used to it?

I think professional photographers have a certain.. natural stealth about them or the ability to blend in maybe because they know what they are doing so well that they don't appear awkward, even with a large camera. I do weird things when I shoot including lay on the ground or stand on things so I tend to draw the eye a lot in that what is that weird woman doing way. ;)

I'm down to four cameras now- D700, Fuji S5, X Pro, and X100. I still prefer my X Pro and X100. I am currently going through a resurgent Indian Summer (the Sinatra version :) ) love affair with my X100 (if only that little wheel wasn't so fiddly). I have a 24-70 and 70-200. I just never use the 70-200. I think my eyesight is so bad that I can't really see things at that distance. Not that it would help photographically if I could actually see well. Anyway, I am going to sell that one and keep the 24-70 for a while. I'm headed out shortly with the dogs. We are off for two weeks for the Xmas break. I decided today to just take the D700 + 35mm F1.4 + X Pro and 35mm. That Fuji 35 is really a great lens. I honestly think it as good as the Nikon ones that cost a lot more. We are going downtown first then out to the nature trails. I don't what it is about that Fuji X Pro but for a lot of things the colors/look is just so beautiful. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's different than any other camera I've ever used. After a suggestion here I started using it at ISO 3400. I took it out last night and was shooting it around town. Really interesting look, especially when converted to B/W. Anyway, back on topic, when I can stop carrying the D700 I'll be worried. I remember living in Boston for years. I had to carry everything because I didn't own a car. So maybe I'm just used to it?

At the risk of being off-topic, I agree with you about the Fuji - camera and lens. I've only had mine since the summer, so I am nowhere near exploring what I can do with it. But I love using it, and I love the look. All I have to do now is develop some skill and talent...

All I have to do now is develop some skill and talent...

When you get that part figured out please let me know. I need some help!!!!

You should get a used S5. The skin tones are amazing. I love the Nikon for it's durability and it's higher shutter speed/DOF. But for everything else I prefer the Fuji. I put it down for a couple of weeks but every time I want to take photos it's the camera I want to reach for. I can't wait for the 23mm (35mm). And I still think the X100 is one of the greatest cameras ever made, except of course for that little wheel. The sensor isn's as good as the X Pro, but somehow Fuji seems to know white balance and exposure. I don't think I've ever used a camera that meters as well as the X Pro or X100. Plus you really just don't have to spend anytime Photoshop or Lightroom with the photos. That means a lot to me.

When you get that part figured out please let me know. I need some help!!!!

You should get a used S5. The skin tones are amazing. I love the Nikon for it's durability and it's higher shutter speed/DOF. But for everything else I prefer the Fuji. I put it down for a couple of weeks but every time I want to take photos it's the camera I want to reach for. I can't wait for the 23mm (35mm). And I still think the X100 is one of the greatest cameras ever made, except of course for that little wheel. The sensor isn's as good as the X Pro, but somehow Fuji seems to know white balance and exposure. I don't think I've ever used a camera that meters as well as the X Pro or X100. Plus you really just don't have to spend anytime Photoshop or Lightroom with the photos. That means a lot to me.

I'm looking forward to the 23 too. I continue to be impressed. Today I was looking back through some very casual stuff I shot when I first received the X-Pro1. What I would call the overall feel of the photos is just beautiful, even straight from the camera. Plus, as I noted above, it's just so much fun to use.

I cannot look at a used S5. I would like it, but my credit rating might suffer.

I cannot look at a used S5. I would like it, but my credit rating might suffer.

I use the hot dog, bologna, and beanie weanie strategy. Actually I got a really good deal on it and it uses Nikon lenses (or at least that was my justification............:)). Honestly, I love the D700, but nowhere near as much as the X Pro. It's not even close. Do you shoot RAW or JPEG with yours? I have been toying with the idea of shooting RAW and using he in camera processing which is supposed to be great. I haven't had any problems with Lightroom and usually with Fuji unless I just want some kind of effect (I'm not an effect person) I basically just use the files as they come out of the camera. There is something about the colors that is just perfect. I did try out this Velvia setting the other day from Alien Skin. I actually think the in camera Velvia is better. The one software I've seen used I really like is something called VSCO. It's too expensive for me. I just wouldn't use it that much. You know sitting here writing this has made me realize how much I love that camera and maybe, just maybe how much I'm looking for some justification on the Nikon. The Fuji does seem to fall into that love or hate category. That's probably why I like it so much. :)

I use the hot dog, bologna, and beanie weanie strategy. Actually I got a really good deal on it and it uses Nikon lenses (or at least that was my justification............:)). Honestly, I love the D700, but nowhere near as much as the X Pro. It's not even close. Do you shoot RAW or JPEG with yours? I have been toying with the idea of shooting RAW and using he in camera processing which is supposed to be great. I haven't had any problems with Lightroom and usually with Fuji unless I just want some kind of effect (I'm not an effect person) I basically just use the files as they come out of the camera. There is something about the colors that is just perfect. I did try out this Velvia setting the other day from Alien Skin. I actually think the in camera Velvia is better. The one software I've seen used I really like is something called VSCO. It's too expensive for me. I just wouldn't use it that much. You know sitting here writing this has made me realize how much I love that camera and maybe, just maybe how much I'm looking for some justification on the Nikon. The Fuji does seem to fall into that love or hate category. That's probably why I like it so much. :)

The last bit, about love or hate, has occurred to me too. I honestly have to say I have not enjoyed a camera as much as this one for a very long time. For what I shoot, and how I shoot, I am very happy with it.

I shoot RAW plus jpeg. Like you I am often happy to just use the jpeg. They require little or no work and print superbly to any size I want. I shoot both because sometimes I do want to play a bit, especially if there are deep shadows. Also with some landscapes. My main output is to print, and starting from RAW can really help. But yes, the jpeg a are so cool. They have flavour, if that makes any sense.

I have seen almost none of the LR problems with my files. The issues exist, but I am sure there is a degree of Internet angst going on, especially from the gear tweakers; lots of gear talk and statistical measurement but not much shooting. Which is OK if that's what you are in to, but it makes me pause and check for myself.

VSCO was given to me as a present. I really haven't gotten in to it yet, but yes, it's pricey. I have found that I enjoy shooting with his camera and lenses so much that I am shooting more, and experimenting more. It's such a seamless experience. Anyway, I have been playing with more styles that I find attractive, and just having fun. I love both BW and colour, so it's all good. I think VSCO might be useful for trying looks, and then seasoning to taste. As an example, I came across this French designer / photographer who does stuff with a sort of cinematic look and I want to try it. Like everything else I wouldn't use it for everything, but its nice to try. Here's the site:

Loomax | Art Director . Photographer | Portfolio of Maxime Villalonga

WOW!! Those are nice. Do you have both versions of VSCO. I may end up getting it. As soon as I see how much money I have left over after Xmas... I'm single and my sister has children so Xmas is always a deficit spending situation for me. :) Plus I may have another cat if I don't find a home for this kitten soon. As far as the Fuji goes, the only time I'm unhappy with it is times like yesterday when I was shooting around noon and wanted to shoot at F1.4. But that's a minor quibble all things considered. I had to do these portraits for a coworker's family. I kept telling them it was going to be sunny and we needed to start early or late. I just ended up using the Nikon. I don't do that for money and I sure wouldn't charge anyone given my lack of photographic skills. I do like the Nikon when I'm hiking with my dogs. We've lately been hiking off the trails in a really rocky area (these things are huge boulders). It's good for that. But I don't like using it as much.

Are you getting the 14mm? I have it pre-ordered but I'm not sure I would use it that much. I usually stop at 28 but I do have this old 20mm Nikon lens. I'm trying it out over the next few weeks to see if I actually like that focal length. The zoom doesn't interest me. I will definitely get the 23, 27, and 56.

The reason I asked about the RAW vs JPEG was about a week ago I accidentally set the camera on JPEG. Prior to that I had been shooting RAW. I didn't realize until I got home. To be honest, I couldn't tell a difference and in fact I might have liked the JPEGs better.

I'm also a print person. I guess that's old fashioned. I have a nice Canon printer, which I will probably have to upgrade since they came out with a new one if they stop making the ink tanks I use. This is weird but I usually print at 11.5 x 15.5 because Ikea makes these great frames with a mat for $15 that are matted at that aspect ratio. They also make a really good square on matted at 11.5 x11.5. I like the square.

Thanks for the link!! I'm headed to Austin in about an hour to take care of my Mom for the day. I'm going to read it there. I sent you one also.

You know what I would really like. A second X Pro body so I wouldn't have to change lenses. It's funny how you get invested in things (like my Nikon). It gets really hard to get rid of it because you will lose so much money. I've been through a lot of cameras over the last few years. It's the one camera I've owned (along with the X100) that I would never for a second consider selling. I'm still working on that second body idea.

I have the first version of VSCO. I'll play with it this weekend. I'm going to pull up a bunch of my first X-Pro1 shots and run them through it.

Good luck with finding a home for the kitten. I'd love to take it, but we are a bit far away. I also suspect that our current cat might sulk.

I can understand the enjoyment of the D700. I haven't had one, but everyone I know who has one likes it very much.

I don't know yet about the 14.I have a sense that it will be a very good lens, and might be great for landscapes. If I did get it, I will likely sell the 18. I just don't think I need both. I'll definitely get the 23, and probably the 56 too, though I have the 60. I think the 56 will be a better portrait lens.

The jpegs continue to surprise me. With some shots they require no work at all, at least for my purposes. It makes life much simpler. I have had an epson R800 printer for years. Still produces excellent stuff. In my odd mind I sometimes feel it isn't really a photograph until it is printed. I wanted to print larger, and in reasonably volume, so I kept an eye out for the right printer. A few months back I saw an Epson R3880 for $800 (there was a big rebate) and I went for it. I especially wanted it because the big ink tanks mean a low cost per ml of ink. It's amazing. Thanks for the frame idea. I didn't know Ikea had frames with matting. I'm going to head over there and look; I also like the square format.

I hadn't considered a second body. That would be useful twice the fun...

There are some barely used ones available for good prices, and some good deals that include a lens. You could always sell the lens if you already have it, and save even more.

I think that as a professional, one develops a mentality knowing that the final image is all that matters and that the size and weight of the equipment is of minor concern. Nobody, (except maybe your mother), gives a rat's if it's heavy or light ... it is what it is.

Gary

Back