Birds Birds in flight photos, post here

I just caught this, what I think is a young Red-Tailed Hawk taking flight from the tree out back. I barely got it in focus as he was trying to fly away. I think this is a young hawk I've been seeing grow up over the past few months. Getting larger and larger, more broad shouldered.

Very minimal cropping with this 300mm lens. I'm really enjoying it, and can't wait to get the MC14 for it here next week.

YOUNG RED-TAILED HAWK TAKING FLIGHT-2.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

YOUNG RED-TAILED HAWK TAKING FLIGHT-3.JPG

YOUNG RED-TAILED HAWK TAKING FLIGHT-4.JPG

I just caught this, what I think is a young Red-Tailed Hawk taking flight from the tree out back. I barely got it in focus as he was trying to fly away. I think this is a young hawk I've been seeing grow up over the past few months. Getting larger and larger, more broad shouldered.

Very minimal cropping with this 300mm lens. I'm really enjoying it, and can't wait to get the MC14 for it here next week.

View attachment 457623

View attachment 457624

View attachment 457625
Nice series. I was posting a youngster at the same time.

Last edited:

View attachment 457623

View attachment 457624

View attachment 457625
Excellent results there, well done and I am happy to see you get along with your Oly 300mm Pro.

One of the local Red-Tailed Hawks, was hanging out in the tree out back and decided to take off just as I was focusing the camera. Terrible light conditions, full sun from above, but this is what I was able to get out of them.

RED-TAILED HAWK FLYING OVERHEAD-2.JPG

RED-TAILED HAWK FLYING OVERHEAD-1.JPG

RED-TAILED HAWK FLYING OVERHEAD-3.JPG

Today's wildlife experience. Our local Peregrine Falcon stopped by to nearly stop my heart while dive bombing out of the sky, grabbing lunch from the field near me, and then flying off to the dead tree behind our house to have lunch.

PEREGRINE FALCON CLOUDY-3.JPG

PEREGRINE FALCON CLOUDY-4.JPG

PEREGRINE FALCON CLOUDY-5.JPG

I went out driving around to see if I could catch a few shots of the Ospreys, and boy were they out today. This one Osprey flew directly overhead and I nearly fell backwards trying to get this shot. This was only cropped vertically to 3:2 Aspect Ratio, no width crop at all.

Random side note, I'm not happy with how my camera sees these skies using Auto ISO. It keeps dropping it to 100, 160, and 200, and the birds end up very dark. I had to bring up the exposure a full stop just to see the detail in the Osprey.

OSPREY-1.JPG

These shots of the Ospreys landing turned out alright. I think in the future on days like this, I'm just going to set the ISO to 400 or 640 and shoot with that so it's not messing with the exposure too much.

OSPREY-16.JPG

OSPREY-17.JPG

OSPREY-20.JPG

Last edited:
Back