Birds Birds in flight photos, post here

The hummingbirds have arrived here in Eastern, WA. We don't have them year round like they do out West across the mountains so it's always a welcome sight when they show up. This one was feeding right in front of me while I was sitting on the deck so I grabbed the camera slowly and snapped a few hundred shots hoping something comes out alright. Nothing that'll win awards but it was nice to see them here at the house.

View attachment 467355

View attachment 467356
Love the hummingbirds. Interesting the difference from east to west in a west coast state. The Rufous I had here this year could be in your neighborhood now.

Love the hummingbirds. Interesting the difference from east to west in a west coast state. The Rufous I had here this year could be in your neighborhood now.

At first I labeled this one as an Anna's, but now I think it's a Female Rufous. Bill can you confirm my thoughts on this? I'm still learning so much, I initially assumed Anna's because of the green until I looked up the differences in them.

At first I labeled this one as an Anna's, but now I think it's a Female Rufous. Bill can you confirm my thoughts on this? I'm still learning so much, I initially assumed Anna's because of the green until I looked up the differences in them.
I believe it is a female Rufous. Do you have Allen's there? I wouldn't know how to tell the difference between it and a Rufous. I've never seen an Allen's.

I believe it is a female Rufous. Do you have Allen's there? I wouldn't know how to tell the difference between it and a Rufous. I've never seen an Allen's.

We don't have Allens, we have Anna's on the other side of the mountains, Rufous were obvious last year, the male at least and then we also have Calliope, and this one was very small, and the Calliope females have very similar looks to this one. Rufous females usually breed in April, from what I'm reading and we are already in the middle of may, where the Calliope say they breed in may, later than the others. The one thing I noticed yesterday was this one sounded like it had a deep low tone to the wings flapping, like a bumblebee in your ear. It caught me off guard yesterday so I'm thinking Calliope. Smaller, faster wing speed, with the short tail?

I remember yesterday noticing how small this bird seemed, compared to the Rufous we had here last year. Here's one more shot from yesterday sitting on a feeder. It has such a short tail. I'll try to get some shots of it from the front today. I just saw it out there while having coffee this morning. It buzzed by like a P-51 at an air show.

CALLIOPE-2.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Back