Bitterly disapointed with Olympus - 2nd E-PL2 failed!!!

Okay then...so two bad cameras has soured you on m43? Could be just a bad batch. Have you considered a Panasonic camera or perhaps a different Pen camera. The E-P1 can be bought quite cheaply and it is a terrific camera. If you need the VF2 option then the E-PL1 or E-P2 are options. If good AF is what you're after a G2 is a great camera with IQ pretty much on par with the Pens and IMHO much better UI and controls.

I'm looking at the new G3 as it does EVERYTHING you could possibly want! It is smaller than the G2, has a swivel screen and EVF.

I'm looking at the new G3 as it does EVERYTHING you could possibly want! It is smaller than the G2, has a swivel screen and EVF.

As a G2 owner I can tell you the EVF is very very good and the swivel LCD is really a great tool for creative angles. Given the new sensor in the G3 it looks to be a pretty nice camera.

Got my money refunded today so i'm going to wait and see what the G3 is like and also see what Olympus pull out the bag in the near future. E-P3 is on the cards plus a Pen Pro...whatever that is???

Andy,

If you download the photos to your computer, do they still look that way?

If you are going to ditch Oly, see if you can find an used GF1. I'm not too fond of the GF2. But the GF2 is definitely a very compact camera (relative to other larger sensor cameras). Smaller than the EPL2.

If you don't mind a little bit bigger, you can find new G1 kits for as low as $350 (here in the US) and GH1 body only for $400 (B&H). Not sure what their prices look like in UK though.

We have 1 GF1 left at work and it's up at £199 body only.....tempting as I do like this camera a lot.

Andy, I love your photography and I think you can get fine photographs out of any of these cameras because you have a fine eye and good technical skills.

But I have to confess I have ZERO idea what you want in a camera. You've stated so many contradictory things in this post alone that its just hard to tell what would suit you - and you've bought and sold so many different cameras in the past several months a person could get whiplash trying to follow the action. I'm sorry you had these problems with the EPL2 - they'd frustrate me to no end also. It sounds like you really want a G3 but don't want to wait the few weeks until its available? So you'll take the GF1? You've had GF1s, you know what they can do and what they can't quite do. The G3 sounds like it will be better in most respects (low light, faster AF, better video, built in evf if that matters to you). I have a GH2 and a GF1 and I'm not going to sell them to get a G3, but I'd probably be just about as happy with one G3 instead of both of these, except for the lack of some of the GH2 controls which I like a lot but could live without. If the G3 had been available, I wouldn't have gotten the GH2 I'm pretty sure.

If you really want an interchangeable lens m43, I'd wait a few weeks and hold out for the G3. If you really want a fixed lens, I'd either get a GRD 3 or I'd wait and save up for an X100. But I don't know what you want. But the main question is - do you? Can you use some loaners or used gear from your shop until you make up your mind and/or save up for what you really want? That might be the way to go if the option is available.

Good luck,

-Ray

Andy, I love your photography and I think you can get fine photographs out of any of these cameras because you have a fine eye and good technical skills.

Awww thanks :)

If you really want an interchangeable lens m43, I'd wait a few weeks and hold out for the G3. If you really want a fixed lens, I'd either get a GRD 3 or I'd wait and save up for an X100. But I don't know what you want. But the main question is - do you? Can you use some loaners or used gear from your shop until you make up your mind and/or save up for what you really want? That might be the way to go if the option is available.

Good luck,

-Ray

Thanks Ray

Yeah I am one for chopping and changing and it's hard to stop but I'm getting better. At least i have stopped buying loads of lenses so I'm no longer a lens-a-holic!!:D I'm not very good when there's too much choice. I'm thinking that the GF1 has been one of my all time faves so I may go for that as I also want to replace my Canon with a Nikon as I know nowt about Nikon cameras and that has been a real problem at work. I can get good staff discount at work so I should hopefully not have to pay out much. The fact you say I can get decent images from any of the cameras I have had tells me that the GF1 will be fine for my needs.

I know the things I do may seem daft but it's just the way I am but I do usually have a good reason at that time. Once I sort my cameras out I will have to stop buying as I don't get nearly as much spare cash as I used to. Hey Ho!:)

Back