Leica Black Chrome M Lenses

Mijo

Veteran
I noticed today that on Leica's website that the 50mm Summilux that comes with the Kratviz will be available separately at the end of April. I like the look of this lens a lot but not enough to trade in my 50 lux for what is essentially the same lens (but with a retro appearance in black chrome). Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. // M-Lenses // Leica M-System // Photography - Leica Camera AG

As I was looking though the site I noticed that the 35 cron will also have a black chrome version releasing at the end of April. With this version though you get a metal vented round hood instead of the plastic square one. http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/M-Lenses/Summicron-M-35mm-f-2-ASPH

If I was in the market for either of these lenses I would prefer the black chrome versions as they would match up better with my MM. Options are always nice, IMO, but I'm left wondering why. There aren't a lot of different black chrome M bodies, so why make this finish available for some lenses?

Since these black chrome lenses are limited to only 500, I'm guessing that Leica's testing the waters. I'm not a fan of black chrome bodies, I prefer black paint, but I like the idea of the finish of the lens matching the finish of the body.

I wonder if the round vented hood for the summicron can be reversed. When I had owned the regular version of that lens I purchased a similar leica hood (it fit several different lenses) but it could not be attached backwards (the focusing tab obstructed it). I liked that hood a lot but it was annoying that it could not be reversed, that meant I had to remove the hood but the lens cap on the lens and then put it into my bag. It was easier to just use the plastic square hood that came with the summicron.

Back