Fuji Black or Silver X20?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
Now that it's official that I'll have to buy my X20 with my own money (and, after seeing my initial tax returns, it may be be a few months yet - ouch!) I find my mind wandering to thoughts of whether to go for the black or silver model. I love the way the X100 and X100s look with the silver over black. But there's something that bothers me about the way the X20's viewfinder looks from the front against the silver surround. I'm leaning toward the all-black option. Is it just me?

I am sorry you have to buy one. Black has been my favorite but more recently I thought the silver is pretty cool. However, your remark made me look again and I think you're right about the viewfinder. It does not look good. So you made me think again. Thanks (haha).

I've seen reports from a few who have gotten the silver-finish ones who say the silver wears off, exposing blackish metal below. My black X10 looks brand new after a year of daily carry. So it seems the old black/chrome durability standard has gotten reversed.

That having been said, I just want somebody to sell me one at all! Don't even have to give it to me. Just offer it for sale at non-extortionate prices! (Was actually tempted by an ebay listing today, offering to ship from Hong Kong, $620, would have it in a week. But then figured that if I got it, by Tuesday Amazon would have 'em for $20 less with US warranty -- so runs my luck.)

A couple advantages to black (beyond the possibility mentioned above that it's more durable):
-- It *is* a little more discrete.
-- Black cameras now being more common, a black one would be a little less thief-bait, I suspect.

Congratulations on winning. And if the X20 arrives on these shores before too long, I shan't even resent you!

Back