Leica Black or Silver ?

Ricoh

Regular
M240
I'm aware it's a personal choice, just like the colour of a car, but which one wears more aesthetically, Black or Silver? I must say I like the look of the two-tone black-silver, it looks really nice.

M240
I'm aware it's a personal choice, just like the colour of a car, but which one wears more aesthetically, Black or Silver? I must say I like the look of the two-tone black-silver, it looks really nice.

Uh-oh -- I'm ruined. I looked them up, and the first I saw was the "Leica 60" edition. Yummy! Then there was a Safari edition, which I love. Then the 'regular' cameras. By that time it was over for me.

M8 - chrome, looks great after 6+years;
M9- Black Paint, looks great after 4+ years
M Monochrom- Black chrome- looks great after ~3years...

So not- not Black or Chrome... Black AND Chrome, Baby....

Did I commit the cardinal sin calling it silver! Sorry, you're so right!

Black & Chrome looks so damn nice and my wife, God bless her, has pointed out this is not a dress rehearsal. I feel bullets between my teeth.

At a practical level I believe it's easier to get black insulating tape for the M240 - not an issue for the MP of course.
I always thought cars should be sold in a choice of two colours, A or B, making the decision making easier. Leica sort of do this with their cameras, but still it's a difficult choice!

Black paint are really pretty when new, after a few years of steady use, you will start to see brassing on some areas no matter how careful you are. Some like this as it give it character. Leica even charge you extra for this. Some people like their camera to look like new however so black paint will be hard to maintain. I feel that today's silver chrome body are not like the silver chrome of the M4 or M3 or even the M6. They just seem to be a little more high maintenance than the old camera. Easy to get finger print. They still are harder to wear out than the black paint. Black chrome are same as the silver, they will last longer than the black paint. Worn out black chrome is unique looking. Almost greyish tone. Personally, I love the silver camera. With the silver lens, they are heavier however. BTW, M9 silver is silver paint while the M9-P is like that of the M8, 8.2, M240 and MP.

^ '...the silver camera. With the silver lens, they are heavier however'

I thought the underlying materials were a constant, the depth of finish being measured in microns and insignificant compared to all the brass, glass and other metallics.

^ '...the silver camera. With the silver lens, they are heavier however'

I thought the underlying materials were a constant, the depth of finish being measured in microns and insignificant compared to all the brass, glass and other metallics.

The camera might be the same but the silver lens is definitely heavier.

The camera might be the same but the silver lens is definitely heavier.
If the 'silver' is actually chrome plating, brass is a really good substrate. Perhaps more brass in the 'silver' lens - pure guess work, but I'd love to know.

Regarding the M 240, and reading what you had to say above, is the black version paint, not anodised or black chrome, but the silver version is actually chrome, not silver paint?

I do apologise for all these questions, but I can see there is a knowledgeable membership here and a wealth of experience. Where better to ask, but I'm aware your patience may run out.

I found this on a http://www.nemeng.com/leica/022e.slhtm

There is however a difference in weight between black and chrome lenses. This is because black lenses are made from aluminium alloy which is then black anodised, whilst chrome lenses are made from (much heavier) brass, which is nickel plated prior to the final chrome plate. Leica have to do this as the silver-chrome adheres far more reliably to brass/nickel than aluminium.

Thanks Vincetan. It it wouldn't be surprising if the company sold more silver lenses. I think it would influence some, even at the expense of extra weight.
The Leica FAQs make interesting reading. It suggests the M6 had a zinc top plate, hence the pitted examples. Leica reverted to brass on the M7, and onwards after that.

I have owned a black film MP and a black M240 in the past. At present, I own a black chrome M4-P and a Safari set M-P. I have never not liked the appearance of any of these cameras.

I have never owned a chrome and black M body, but would like to; I like the classic old school look of these cameras.
I am hoping that before too many more years pass, a chrome and black M3, M4-P or M5 will join my small Leica family.

All of the production M cameras are beautiful, regardless of their finish, as are the Safari cameras. It takes a hell of a lot of effort to actually make an M camera ugly, but Hermes managed to do just that with the orange leather M7. I have seen photos of some ala carte M cameras that IMHO were ugly - black paint with red leather, and black paint with green leather. Bluck...

There are so many M4s and M3s out there at such a great price that I am very tempted to pick one up even though I do not shoot film anymore. In fact, I picked up a mint Nikon F2 AS black paint because the price is so good and I really enjoyed that camera back in the 80s. Nostalgia.

I have owned a black film MP and a black M240 in the past. At present, I own a black chrome M4-P and a Safari set M-P. I have never not liked the appearance of any of these cameras.

I have never owned a chrome and black M body, but would like to; I like the classic old school look of these cameras.
I am hoping that before too many more years pass, a chrome and black M3, M4-P or M5 will join my small Leica family.

All of the production M cameras are beautiful, regardless of their finish, as are the Safari cameras. It takes a hell of a lot of effort to actually make an M camera ugly, but Hermes managed to do just that with the orange leather M7. I have seen photos of some ala carte M cameras that IMHO were ugly - black paint with red leather, and black paint with green leather. Bluck...

The 240 looks better in chrome. I subsequently bought a 246 in black chrome because that's all I could get for a Monochrom. It somehow suits that camera.

I think the two worst finishes are silver and black paint.

Dante

Thanks dante, I started the thread some time ago, September last year I believe, when I had difficulty deciding and thought I'd garner inputs from the community. Anyway I purchased a black M240 in October, but thanks for your input.
As an aside, I recently purchased a silver 50 lux ASPH and it looks rather nice on the black M240. The reason being it was £500 ($700 approx) cheaper than a black- paint aluminium version. Simple, really!
Someone warned me about Leica GAS, but I thought I had stronger will power, sadly not!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back