B&W Black & White, monotone and sepia

Oh, Barrie, how I long to see Dartmoor in real life...but until then I must enjoy the countryside vicariously through photographs. Have you seen any of the ponies up there or do they call them horses? Such beautiful desolate expanses.

DP1M0370-b_w.jpg

DP1M0398-b_w.jpg

Sigma DP1M

Barrie

Man you really are not helping with my GAS for one of those Merrills. Great shots. Do you ever do any landscape shots with the DP2M? Just curious which one you like better. I know the DP2M is a bit longer but from what I've seen corner to corner the 2 is better than the 1 in that aspect but does it really matter that much? I do plan on getting some bigger prints made when I get one.

Oh! Just get one. I did and -- one problem -- if you get one, you may start wanting one of the others. I got the two but keep thinking about the one -- to ADD to the mix, not to replace the 2. They're wonderful cameras, but --- it's a slippery slope.

Haha I can see, I've been looking at a bunch of forums and image threads with the Merrills. The images they can produce is simply stunning. I will probably hold out for a bit and see if they offer something new up and maybe take away some of the quirks. But if not I can definitely live with them for the IQ they produce.

Oh, Barrie, how I long to see Dartmoor in real life...but until then I must enjoy the countryside vicariously through photographs. Have you seen any of the ponies up there or do they call them horses? Such beautiful desolate expanses.

BB, there were indeed several ponies around, and they came in very useful. As I came down from the tor the ground proved to be very boggy and I came close to blundering into quaking bog where the ground can give way under you. My solution was to follow the line of a derelict wall and then get to an area where the ponies were on the basis that they probably knew where the more solid ground was located, which proved to be the case. No pictures by then since it was raining rather heavily, it only lasted for about 15 minutes but quite a soaking.

Barrie

Man you really are not helping with my GAS for one of those Merrills. Great shots. Do you ever do any landscape shots with the DP2M? Just curious which one you like better. I know the DP2M is a bit longer but from what I've seen corner to corner the 2 is better than the 1 in that aspect but does it really matter that much? I do plan on getting some bigger prints made when I get one.

Woody, thanks for your comments, and forgive me from stoking your desire somewhat. I only took one shot with the DP2M, a closer shot of some rapids in the river. To some extent that was because I felt in a rather wider mood given the open nature of the landscape. I'm hoping to do some shots as spring starts of the more enclosed lanes in lowland Devon for which the DP2M might be more appropriate. Another factor was that I was using a Cokin ND graduated filter and I've glued an adaptor to the lens hood of the DP1M which makes it very easy to mount the filter holder. I found that the 72mm adaptor is virtually a sliding fit to the outside of the lens hood, although I suppose I could mount that hood on the DP2M when using it, given that the hood would not perhaps be as effective. The bracket fungi post #3117 on the previous page was done with the DP2M for which it was more suitable.

I had been wondering about the DP3M but I'm not sure how much use it would get, and I think that for close up work which might be it's main use, my m4/3 system will be adequate and prove to be more versatile.

Barrie

I think i prefer the warmer toned one at the bottom, although the blue does give a colder ambience to what is a wintery scene. Many years ago in another life when I did my own colour and B/W processing and printing in a proper darkroom (happy days) I used to print onto achival fibre paper and selenium tone them as opposed to sepia, which gave a similar tone to the last shot. Very subtle but very nice. Nice shots those as well.

I'm actually hankering after making a return to film and chemical photography just to do monotones, I've never got to love digital black and whitle like I did film, there's just something missing with it for me. In fact I've been scouring e.bay for a nice retro film camera, I used to have an old Franka rangefinder - like this: A Field-day with the Frankarette but I can't find it anywhere. Not sure that Mrs Dewi would appreciate the house stinking of chemicals again though - so maybe she has something to do with it's disappearance. :)

D

Thanks for the comments. I usually too tend to like the warmer sepia tones. But maybe the blues were influenced by my mood when processing them. I can't comment on the film vs digital as digital is all that I know. But I do like the fact that I can just pop any of these shots back in and tone them or completely re-edit them in a matter of minutes.

Back