B&W Black & White, monotone and sepia

"Motherhood"

Powerful statue entitled "Motherland" on the front lawn of the American Red Cross building in Washington, DC. Sculpted by the Armenian sculptor Frederic Sagoyan, it depicts an Armenian peasant woman clutching a baby boy in her arms while she stares at her home that has just collapsed in the Armenian earthquake of 1988. (The statue was given to the American Red Cross in gratitude for the donations received from America during that earthquake).

LX5
Armenian_Statute_Red_Cross_Grounds_.jpg

Thank you, John. This is a strong and moving sculpture and you've framed it so well by seeing the tree and the columns as part of the scene. It's also a sobering reminder of how much need there is in our world. Something some of us can forget when we're rushing to and fro during the holiday season.

I hope you're compiling a collection of your Washington DC photos.

Traam, your view of "the reserve" and that little girl walking along the path framed by that huge tree and the blazing sunset is the stuff of a dream, or a really good story. Beautiful and haunting.

Ferry, many thanks for posting these two favorites of mine from your Flickrstream. They're prime examples of how incredible black and white can be - even in the color paradise where you took them. Lovely quality, tone and everything else.

Traam, your view of "the reserve" and that little girl walking along the path framed by that huge tree and the blazing sunset is the stuff of a dream, or a really good story. Beautiful and haunting.

Thanks Wylie! By the way the 'little girl' is my girlfriend's mum. It's a bit of an unintended visual illusion, she looks tiny standing next to the tree but in reality she was much further away down the track.

Ferry - love those two photos.

That "Island Smoke Break" is a wonderful photograph. Great moment, great exposure and processing, and INCREDIBLE composition. The bit of vignetting really works well too. Great in all respects!

-Ray

Back