Black & White, monotone and sepia

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
L1033257.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
I'm going to be taking a trip in March/April and because one of the events toward the middle of April will be Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year), a festival with a lot of water being thrown around, I'll be bringing my E-M5, the only water resistant body I have, along with the Olympus 14-150 f4-5.6 ii. It gets sketchy reviews, but I ordered one anyway for the convenience and the weather sealing on the second version. The little 14-42 EZ pancake gets a lot of the same criticism, so I took mine out for a test run and to get used to using the E-M5 again. It's a perfectly decent lens, as I expect the 14-150 mm will be. I could bring my 12-40 f2.8 for weather sealing, but then I'd be using the Stylus for telephoto reach. I decided to leave the stylus at home, order the new super-zoom , and bring my much loved Leica X 113 for uncompromising optical excellence. It's a trade off, but I'm 71 with a bad neck. Lugging 3 or 4 four lenses and a couple of camera bodies no longer works. I can walk the 2 kilometer incline up to the sanctuary at Wat Phu Champassak, but not with a kit killing my neck. Superzooms and pancakes are about compromises. Getting old and creaky is about compromises too. Here are a couple of shots with the 14-42 EZ, a decent little lens with which I shot an entire trip to Laos in 2014 with no wrenching regrets.

P1120084.jpg P1130087.jpg P1130088.jpg P1130091.jpg P1130094.jpg

I'm going to be taking a trip in March/April and because one of the events toward the middle of April will be Pi Mai Lao (Lao New Year), a festival with a lot of water being thrown around, I'll be bringing my E-M5, the only water resistant body I have, along with the Olympus 14-150 f4-5.6 ii. It gets sketchy reviews, but I ordered one anyway for the convenience and the weather sealing on the second version. The little 14-42 EZ pancake gets a lot of the same criticism, so I took mine out for a test run and to get used to using the E-M5 again. It's a perfectly decent lens, as I expect the 14-150 mm will be. I could bring my 12-40 f2.8 for weather sealing, but then I'd be using the Stylus for telephoto reach. I decided to leave the stylus at home, order the new super-zoom , and bring my much loved Leica X 113 for uncompromising optical excellence. It's a trade off, but I'm 71 with a bad neck. Lugging 3 or 4 four lenses and a couple of camera bodies no longer works. I can walk the 2 kilometer incline up to the sanctuary at Wat Phu Champassak, but not with a kit killing my neck. Superzooms and pancakes are about compromises. Getting old and creaky is about compromises too. Here are a couple of shots with the 14-42 EZ, a decent little lens with which I shot an entire trip to Laos in 2014 with no wrenching regrets.

View attachment 358470View attachment 358471View attachment 358472View attachment 358473View attachment 358474
I think you will be pleased with the 14-150, it punches above its weight.

Name
Matt
I think you will be pleased with the 14-150, it punches above its weight.
I agree - but I'd still advise never pitting it directly against the 12-40mm, as I did, stupidly ... For what it is, the 14-150mm II does a very good job, it's just not a champion for pixel peepers. FWIW, bokeh at 150mm is really great, and sharpness is good enough for normal viewing sizes.

Bringing the X 113 along solves any low light worries you might have had. That said, today, I'd combine the 14-150mm II with the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 II for a really nice and compact travel setup - or get the OM Systems 20mm f/1.4 which is an even better lens. Only one body, and even with the Panasonic, usable sealing (not for downpours as with the 14-150mm II, but I'd have no reservations about taking it out in light rain). With the OM Systems 20mm, it'd be a perfect and hassle-free three-piece travel kit that'd leave some room in even the smallest of bags. Bliss.

Thankfully, my current Z 18-140mm *is* an optically better performer than the 14-150mm II - however, it shares none of its other advantages (reach, size, sealing to the same degree). And I still have the E-M5 III ... Rats. I really shouldn't have thought about all that.* :p

@Lawrence A. You'll have a lot of fun!

M.

*My current compact travel setup, the Nikon Z 6 with Z 24-200mm and Z 40mm, also fits into the very bag I'm thinking of; I could swap the 40mm for the Z 35mm f/1.8 S for even more optical prowess, and better sealing, too. I'm good. But the Nikon kit is at least 50% bigger and heavier than the Olympus combo would be.

Last edited: