B&W Black & White, monotone and sepia

Two more from my visit to the Dart Valley Railway

1070361.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sluice gate mechanism for the old mill leat at Staverton

1070375.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3205 approaches Staverton heading for Buckfastleigh

Barrie

I am using either G1, GF1 or GH2 cameras (GH2 for the photograph in question). The sensors in these have a rather limited dynamic range and in my experience exposing for shadow detail will result in badly blown higher tones. Shadows have to be sacrificed.

That would certainly be the case with the G1 and the GF1, but the GH2 should be a bit better at handling a scene with a wider dynamic range.

I am seriously considering the latest Sigma Merrill cameras (DP1M and DP2M), but as a Linux user it will not just be the cameras I would need to fund, but a whole new computer and operating system to support the dedicated software to open the raw files.
Barrie

There might be ways round this issue, so you can carry on Linuxing ... but it partly depends the extent to which the Merrill X3F file format has been changed from previous versions:

Older versions of RawTherapee support the (SD15) Sigma X3F raw format, but very latest X3F from the Merrills might not be be the same.
You could try running SPP (the Sigma software) under WINE (i've tried this with the old version of Puppy on my netbook and soon ran into a Dependency Hell, but you might have more luck in a later version)
If Adobe support the Merrill X3f in the DNG converter, run that under WINE to convert X3F to DNG (I've done this for my DP2s' files, works well). I'm sure Adobe will get round to this in due course (by which time with a bit of luck the price of the DPxMs will have dropped)
After Adobe add Merrill support to LR4, you could try running LR4 under WINE (good luck with that, same remarks as for SPP apply)

You certainly wouldn't lack for DR or for exquisitely toned digital monochromes if you went the Sigma route.

Back