B&W Black & White, monotone and sepia

Snapseed.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

37033175346_326bf5756b_b.jpg

Sail and Anchor [fmr Freemasons Hotel] - Australian Heritage Sites {04} by Andrew Priest (Aushiker), on Flickr

This photograph continues my social history project documenting both the mundane and the interesting in the City of Fremantle and surrounding areas through the medium of Waymarking [1].

The Freemason's Hotel, now known as the Sail and Anchor, is a two storey building constructed in 1901-03 to provide increased hotel facilities in the Fremantle area. It was built for Nicholas Paterson and Anthony Cornish at 64 South Terrace (corner of Henderson Street) and replaced the hotel originally constructed on the site in 1854, the establishment of which is commemorated by the date on the pediment of the building. (The Hotel's change of name did not occur until 1984, when there was a change of ownership and extensive restoration work carried out.)

The Sail and Anchor Hotel (1901-03) is closely associated with the rapid economic development surrounding the gold boom at the turn of the century, when buildings in both Perth and Fremantle were redeveloped or rebuilt to meet the requirements of a burgeoning population. The Sail and Anchor Hotel is a fine representative example of Federation Filigree style common in the Australian pub tradition of the turn of the century .

Having received two architectural design awards in 1985, the Sail and Anchor Hotel is highly valued by the community as a recognisable heritage asset, the restoration of which is associated with the regeneration of Fremantle in the 1980s and specifically the defence of the America's Cup in 1987.

[1] Freemasons Hotel, Fremantle, WA, Australia - Australian Heritage Sites on Waymarking.com
[2] Reference:
Department of Environment and Energy (n.d.). Freemasons Hotel, 64 South Tce, Fremantle, WA, Australia. Retrieved from Australian Heritage Database

I actually favor the mono over the color version.
Thanks Brent, and I agree with you. The "golden light", in the color version, looks a little "artificial"....like it could have been manipulated in processing. However, nothing was done to alter the color. That really is how it looked.

Actually, I had finished shooting, when I saw the mausoleum bathed in this intense, very reddish, golden light. By this time, it was getting quite dark, and I had to hurry and get my camera out to shoot again, before it went away.

Snapseed.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another B&W conversion. Like the mausoleum above, the color version is also posted in the Color Photographs thread. I like the color version of this photo much better, than that, of the mausoleum above.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "golden light", in the color version, looks a little "artificial"....like it could have been manipulated in processing. However, nothing was done to alter the color. That really is how it looked.
I prefer the colour version and having spent a bit of time around cemeteries in the late afternoon light it was very real to me. Both are great photos but.

Back