B&W Black & White, monotone and sepia

Look into my Eyes
5917194709_600ed38b31_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

e510, 50mm F2 SMC Pentax-M

5918222707_834e9e8268_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A photo from on an overlook in Pikeville, KY (where they are proud that they moved a mountain, a road, a railroad and the river to make more room for the town to expand), taken with the Sigma DP2x.

I'd be interested to have seen that in a square format with a bit more stem showing (I realise that might not be possible as this is so unlikely to be a crop!)

Not Mohonk Mountain House, I don't think - is it Andrew? OK, I know Mohonk is not in Kerhonkson...but it's not too far away. Now I am very interested in knowing where you were. Very nice black and white!

Christina, you are right - "Buddleia" also known as Butterfly Bush! Who'd have thought of it in black and white - but it's beautiful and the framing is perfect, too!

rgonzale - I love your art filtered dog. He's very endearing and situated himself in just the right spot there.

Paul - stunning view and perfect silhouettes!

Thanks, Wylie and pdh!

Wylie, this photo is from the Ukrainian Heritage Resort called Soyuzivka (Soyuzivka), in Kerhonkson, off Route 44/55. It's still quite active, although it had its heyday in the 60's and 70's. My younger daughter was at a camp, there, last week.

This particular scene is quite absurd; a fake palm tree wrapped in Christmas lights -- in the foothills of the Catskills. There's no wall plate on the electrical outlet. The drop-ceiling sags in spots. The chairs are used, from another location (and don't fit the decor, at large), and the cheesy, tiny photos on the wall are from remote, exotic locales. This is actually a hallway, of sorts, connecting an ill-equipped and over-staffed snack bar to the left, and the bar, to the right. It's really an area one passes, not to stay and sit. So, I'd bet a bundle that no one really notices it.

Mohonk Mountain House is just outside of New Paltz, and is a classy retreat. The resort above is about a 25-30 minute drive west of there, along Route 299.

A little plug: At the end of 299 in the town of Gardiner, where it meets 44/55 is the Mountain Brauhaus (across Beek's Auto repair). This is the best German food you'll find in the region -- and the imported beer selection -- mostly on-tap -- is to die for! Reasonably priced; beats any German sampling in NYC.

Back