B&W Black & White, monotone and sepia

A group of students resting at Hampton Court Palace.

G314-42restingatHamptonCourt.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 56299

Lately, I've been photographing stumps. And I've been working with a Lightroom plugin that achieves a matte look to the pictures which I like very much. Further, I've been printing them on various papers to further enhance the matte appearance. They are beautifully detailed but move further away from photograph and more in the direction of a two-dimensional "painterly" image. Almost like a detailed pencil sketch. I'm continuing to work them and print them and see where they go.

I've also been working with toning them when printing. Right now I'm using the Epson printer settings to tone them to my liking, but I need to find a way to process the digital image with the same toning style. My eye tends to prefer a slight warm tone - not too much, just right. Very subtle in fact, but it makes a big difference.

All this talk of image IQ and here I am trying to create a "pencil sketch" from my photographs ;)

This is a conversion of raw to B/W done in Aftershot Pro with a tad bit of burning in the upper left corner using PaintShopPro tools.
grd iii

R0012412_sm.jpg

This was taken directly in B&W. It forces me to thing in B&W, rather than to take in in colour and then convert.
Besides I am lazy and try to do in camera as much as possible :)

SAM_4193.JPG

Who says you can't get shallow depth of field with small sensors? Hahaha

Back