B&W Black & White, monotone and sepia

Yikes, I don't look in here for a day or two and Wow!

Ferry, seeing your pictures makes me kick myself. (that is because I no longer have that camera - even though we all know it's the photographer not the camera!) Stunning pictures. I am going to go on to Flickr and look more deeply at each one. Of course, I love the horse, but that fourth one is whimsical and very charming with what I think of as kind humor, and your third is magical, too. I think each one of these has an other worldly quality. Beautifully done! Have to laugh at that "Keep Out" sign!:D

Javier, you live in such a crazy city, though this scene is rather calm and collected. I often wonder is there ever a time where no one is about? Love the sign up top - PED XING!

Bill, me thinks I recognize that fountain from your wonderful color swooping gulls photo. I like the obelisk like shapes and shadows. That fountain surely is shooting up high. The sedate nature of the scene underscores the powerful shapes beautifully.

pdh, in your first that creamy color, the thick texture of the paint, the beaded chain and those shadows - it's lovely. I think it would be a wonderful addition to this thread: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f24/show-blandness-755/ If you haven't read that thread, don't jump to any negative conclusions about the term "bland". There's a lot to that thread.

Your second is very funny and you saw it perfectly!:D

Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial

From the FDR Memorial in WDC with a NEX5 and 18-55mm on a cold winter afternoon where I saw only 3 other visitors, which is very unusual as this is a popular site.

A statue depicting a Great Depression bread line, by sculptor George Segal.

DSC00521.jpg

"The Rural Couple" sculpture by George Segal.

DSC00532.jpg

John, both of these pictures are very moving. I am a great admirer of George Segal's sculpture and to see them in place, at this time of year in DC, and during what have been very difficult times for so many, all is so starkly clear in these images. Beautifully seen, John and very well done.

Finally...

After what seemed an hour and maybe 50 clicks of the camera, I think I have one
photo I like. This is my youngest grand daughter who just can't sit still.

I have no skills in post and after seeing this, I think I may have put just alittle
too much sharpening, although it was shot at iso 400. Any comments gladly welcome.

Maggs_b_and_w_sized.JPG

LX3 f2 at 1/80. iso400

Cheers all,
Pete

Welcome, Myles and thank you for jumping right in and posting one of your photographs! You've caught the juxtaposition of each person's private experiences here so well. I was first drawn to this sweetheart of a little girl's face and her expression of wonder as she is looking up, down to her little shoes...and the textures of the grass...and then up to what I am guessing is her mother, sitting there, chin resting in hand, who is clearly not in the same moment as her daughter. Nicely seen.

When you have time, please stop by the Welcomes and Introductions forum to say hello.

Been playing too much with my Nikon D90 and Sigma 150-500mm lens lately and that combo I would not describe as compact so haven't posted much lately.

On the other hand, adding the 18-105mm Nikon DX zoom onto the camera allows me to shove the D90 into the same camera bag into which I squeeze my Olympus E-P1 and Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 lens. I bought the bag as the smallest fit for the latter.

I did a bit of street photography on Thursday afternoon with the Nikon in Hyde Park and George Street, Sydney. This is stuff I would normally do with the Olympus Voigtlander combo but I found the D90 with its AF and the 105mm end of the zoom very useful. I wish there was something similar for the Olympus (e.g. a 14-75mm that's compact and not too slow).

5374613603_9352028fce_z.jpg

Hyde Park 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

5375214120_3d080f6ec7_z.jpg

George Street 2 by peterb666, on Flickr

Just wonderful tones in that first one (I don't normally like lower-contrast stuff, but this is superb) and wonderful handling of depth of field there too ... there's such a vivid sense of vitality about the subjects, about the immortality of the moment
When I see a shot like this, I get a "I wonder why I bother" feeling about my own photography ...

Just wonderful tones in that first one (I don't normally like lower-contrast stuff, but this is superb) and wonderful handling of depth of field there too ... there's such a vivid sense of vitality about the subjects, about the immortality of the moment
When I see a shot like this, I get a "I wonder why I bother" feeling about my own photography ...

Thanks, the shot was mostly luck.

Ironically, I have just upped the contrast a little and deepend the blacks - not a big change but an improvement. On the downside, I may have overcooked the sharpening.

5378388705_b14a8db11d_z.jpg

Hyde Park 2.1 by peterb666, on Flickr

The girl on the left is having a fun time, even though she was on the phone, she knew she was being photographed. The one on the right is occupied by an itch down south. The one on the left has just alerted her to the camera. The one on the right has just turned to her friend but that itch hasn't quite stopped. Her friend on the phone thinks it's an absolute hoot and is enjoying every second of it.

The photo has been cropped because the extra content wasn't necessary - it was the facial expressions I was after.

Peter, I like your second version much better. Their sunny faces and naturalness still dominates but the image has a lot more vibrance to me and is stronger to me visually. Not too strong in any way at all. Nicely cropped, too.

Back