B&W Black & White with water in the frame

Napier Ahuriri - port area.
P5180596 LR creamtone B&W Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is really an amazing dock section. It deceivingly could pass for a simple design, but it is rather complex for it's purpose. First, you have the center section of the dock which seems to be a simple planked run with parallel ends screwed down to some frame below. That's where the simplicity ends. Somehow the designer came up with a way to add tails on each plank that not only change the color of the dock at it's outboard ends but the profile too. It no longer is a parallel rectangle. In addition they've come up with a way to hide the mechanical fasteners of those end pieces so they are not visible from the top, as they are in the center run sections, probably blind screwed from underneath, I would guess. If that weren't enough, the designer added an inlaid keyway, again with no apparent mechanical attachment points. Nice detail, nice touch.

In short, pretty impressive, and I've walked down an awful lot of docks after racing sailboats for over 40years.

That of course is the good news. The bad news is there are no cleats or attachments to tie a boat to, and the angular design of the edges would probably have a tendency to abrade the side of a hull that had pulled alongside or tied up. I observe that because I am a professional pessimist. An authentic cynic who can find fault in just about anything.

However, I can't find fault in your catch of this unique shoreline decor. Nice job!

Back