B&W Black & White with water in the frame

45E034ED-F81A-483D-B854-C99DF6696525.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 391180

Liberation Day activities, Graflex 'Anniversary' Speed Graphic 4x5", 127mm f/4.7 Ektar, Fomapan 400
Hey Rick, where in the world did you find and photograph these "crash boats"? The last time I saw one of these was during the late 1960's on Rainey Lake in Northern MN. I drove one of the originals that was purchased by my Uncle from a surplus dealer. We had an 18 HP Johnson outboard on the stern and it was a real "bucking bronco" in waves, but it would carry a very large load. I hauled a 550 gallon tank full of gasoline to support a private fishing camp. It had handholds along the side gunnels for the troops to carry it ashore after they had landed, and they were originally powered by a twin-cylinder, 22 horsepower Johnson outboard--noisy buggers. Oh the Memories!! Thank You.

Hey Rick, where in the world did you find and photograph these "crash boats"? The last time I saw one of these was during the late 1960's on Rainey Lake in Northern MN. I drove one of the originals that was purchased by my Uncle from a surplus dealer. We had an 18 HP Johnson outboard on the stern and it was a real "bucking bronco" in waves, but it would carry a very large load. I hauled a 550 gallon tank full of gasoline to support a private fishing camp. It had handholds along the side gunnels for the troops to carry it ashore after they had landed, and they were originally powered by a twin-cylinder, 22 horsepower Johnson outboard--noisy buggers. Oh the Memories!! Thank You.

The M2 Assault boats are reproductions (based on originals) owned and built by the Pontoon Group 40-45 from the town of Medemblik. They form a US Army Engineer Bridging unit from World War 2, including all the GMCs and trailers with their volunteers and friends.

ZB230519.jpg

ZB230532.jpg

ZB230547.jpg

Zeiss Contax II + 50mm f/2 Sonnar.

Back