Blood Moon Sunday

We're supposed to be mostly cloudy. Hopefully some of you will be able to see it.

Looks like we're just out of the best viewing zone, but should still see a total eclipse. If the clouds cooperate, mostly clear all day then increasing clouds after dark. Hopefully the moon will be between clouds at max.

They've upgraded my area to scattered clouds, maybe I'll get a glimpse in between.

Check that site out. Below the map will be a forward and back button. You can advance the forecast over the next ten days, 6 hours at a time. You may also select different forecast conditions from the 10 day box. Of course nothing is ever completely accurate but this site has been my go to forecast for the past few years and it is better than most. The key is to use the 10 day forecast box and select what you want to find out about (ie: precipitation, temperature, snowfall, etc) Click through each model with the advance toggles below the map and note if the forecasts align. For example, if the wind forecast shows northerlies coming in but the temperature forecast shows the temperature rising, then something is probably amiss. However, when all or most of the parameters agree the chances are higher that you will have an accurate forecast. One other thing about that site...Check it often, because it is updated often and the individual forecasts change. From that you can better determine which way the forecast is trending.

here is cloud cover ony...

Piffle...

I use timeanddate.com, they seem to be pretty accurate in their long-range stuff. As of this morning they've changed it to "A few showers. High level clouds", so it's not looking good on either site.
That seems to be a half way decent site. Although 14 days is certainly pushing the envelope for wind direction and speed forecast. I think we can pretty much bet the rent money it ain't going to be blowing 8 out of the southeast on the 28th. With any forecast, the longer the range the less accurate it is. What I like about the weather street site is the jet stream forecasts, especially in the winter, which drive the temperature trends and weather systems. Predicting freeze/thaw events, at least for me, based on where the jet is tracking is pretty reliable. Each winter it has an uncanny ability to be out ahead of the meteorological talking heads. However, even that changes daily despite being one powerful current of air.

For the boat I use NOAA or weather.gov because that seems to be the most reliable short term stuff if I have to duck in a harbor. Thanks for the link though, I'll add it to my stable of weather sites.

For those of us lucky enough to have good weather, what are reco's for exposures?
I'm planning on using my A9 w/Nikon 2x extender and Nikkor 300mm lens, as that is as long as I can get without going into the ASP-C mode.
It's times like this that I miss having my old NEX-7, but that's water under the bridge now.

Things are actually looking up, there may be a window.

For those of us lucky enough to have good weather, what are reco's for exposures?
I have very little experience with blood moons. Eclipses tend to be pretty dark, so I'm planning as I would for low light. The good news is the subject itself is the light source.

Tripod, IBIS off, and set up in Manual. Timer or remote release. Too long of a shutter speed will show the movement so I'll probably take a few shots and chimp, then change what I think I need to and try some more. I'll start with the R III, but I'll mount the lens to the tripod and change bodies if there's enough time.

Well, our cloud cover forecast has dropped to about 25% for this evening. We're in a zone where the penumbral phase starts before the moon rises, so I'll probably just try to garb a few shots of the total over about 1.5 hours.

edit - they'll be boring shots, the moon's in nothing other than clear sky at those times here at the apartments.

DSC06432 (Large).JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OK, that was easier than I thought it would be. Now the problem is we have CLOUDS! AARRGGG!

The last total lunar eclipse I could shoot was in 2010, and had to deal with high thin clouds passing overhead. D700, 70-200 + 1.7TC time-lapse composite, images taken when I could see best and even then some of the images are soft and one has a halo due to the thin clouds:
large.jpg

If anyone is interested you can go here and if the original isn't displayed, drop below the exif table and click on the "original" link.

So does f9 at 600mm beat a reflex 500mm f8 lens?

I would think that is going to depend on how sharp the lenses (+TC re the 300) are at infinity. Does the 300+TC need to be stopped down to get best sharpness? How does wide open on the 300+TC compare to the mirror?

Since I have to wander out to the parking lot for photos, and due to the duration it'll be multiple times... I won't be using the tripod. I'll just use a monopod and brace myself on my little truck.

Just looking at images taken with different cameras from 2010 to 2022. Between systems (Nikon D70/ D700/ D2X, Canon 7DII, Olympus E-M5, Pentax K-1, and Fuji X-H1) with native or adapted 80-400/ 100-400, 200 & 300 primes, with and without TCs... the 7DII + 100-400LmkII clearly produced the better moon images. Nothing really to do with the blood moon, just a curious observation/ distraction spurred by this thread.

No idea, it depends on which reflex. I'd be ready with both. Don't you have an A7 III and an A9, or just the A9? I'd set them both up.
I don't have a reflex lens. There is one on C-list locally, but I'm still wishfully holding out for that Sony 100-400 lens.
I guess I could setup the A7iii with the Nikkor 80-200 as I do have two tripods now.

Back