Bloopers

Agreed. I'm almost to the point of telling anyone that wants me in a photo that I refuse to pose....that is not what real life is. Who decided that a bunch of people standing still and wearing fake smiles is the way that all photographs should be?

Last edited:
Agreed. I'm almost to the point of telling anyone that wants me a photo that I refuse to pose....that is not what real life is. Who decided that a bunch of people standing still and wearing fake smiles is the way that all photographs should be?
I always prefer real life faces to posed. Although sometimes, shooting portraits, people want the directed posed shots. So that's what I give them. On this shoot I just told her where to look and let her go through her natural range of expressions. Which I will post more shots from soon.

I think those shots are TRUE portraits. A portrait should give the viewer a glimpse into more than the mere visage of the person being photographed. It should tell you something of the person. The intangible, unquantifiable bit of who lives inside that skin.....to me that is what makes a great portrait.

Those above fit the bill.

*steps down from soapbox*

I'm in total agreement with that. But, cause you knew there would be a but. I worked on a project, which I intend to get going again, where we did portraits for women with low self esteem. I had two really good friends who are a makeup artist and hair stylist help out. We charged a small fee. Which was mainly to cover the costs of food and drinks we got for the shoots and the studio fee. It also paid for a cancer survivor to get a session at no cost to them. In these shoots we did the posed, directed stuff. Because we wanted these women to see that they are as pretty as anyone else. So, there are times that the posed stuff serves a good purpose.

Other than that, I feel that the spontaneous emotions and facial expressions are what truly captures a person. Although on my shoots, normally everyone is cracking up.

I'd love to see those shots, Bobby. I'm sure they will be great. I'm not sure that they will be better than the kind of portraits I prefer, but I may be wrong.

I actually think that men or women with low self-esteem may benefit from seeing how great they look to other people WITHOUT the make-up and the hair stylist. But I've never tried it either way, so I'm not judging.

If we could shots of models without the makeup, hairstyling, and studio lights. We would definitely use that for comparison.

Another part of it is the experience of having their hair and makeup done for them. For women, it makes them feel special. Which adds to their overall experience. We learned that from the feedback.

With all this said, I do agree with you about what makes a better portrait. I fear we are in a minority though.

Back