Bobcats!

Caught this guy just hanging out while I had the 70-150mm Vivitar on my NEX-3 at about 70 yards away.

I had a hard time getting a good image. He was sitting in the shade, while the background was sunny, so I tried the HDR option.

HDR
DSC01526%252Bw.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC01532%252Bw.jpg

Regular
DSC01526+%25282%2529%252Bw.jpg

DSC01532+%25282%2529%252Bw.jpg

The HDR is a bit clearer, but looks processed. I was going to try a different mode, but then he wandered off into the grass.

Very nice, such a beautiful animal! Regarding the HDR or the regular versions, at least for the first photo my preference goes to the normal one. Second photo I have no real preference.

You're so lucky to be able to encounter a bobcat like that; in Europe, we have their bigger cousin the Lynx, but in the areas where they still live or have been reintroduced, you can wander the forests your whole life without ever seeing one... they're incredibly shy animals.

thanks

Very nice, such a beautiful animal! Regarding the HDR or the regular versions, at least for the first photo my preference goes to the normal one. Second photo I have no real preference.

You're so lucky to be able to encounter a bobcat like that; in Europe, we have their bigger cousin the Lynx, but in the areas where they still live or have been reintroduced, you can wander the forests your whole life without ever seeing one... they're incredibly shy animals.

This is the second time I have seen one, the last time was in the 90's. Very shy here as well.

The shooting was tough due to the animals coloring, it is designed to blend in. Making it stand out was tough.

Great shots - even under the challenging conditions.

What an amazingly beautiful creature! Hope they're not hunted for sport in your parts....as they look far too majestic to deserve it!

You know, I was pleased the other day because I captured the picture of a squirrel trying to run up my leg in the park but it's pretty lame next to this. Well captured! You have more exciting wildlife than we do here me thinks!

It's so cool that you were able to see a bobcat in the wild - let alone get photos, Dave! I, too, feel that it's much easier for me to see this beautiful animal in the non HDR pictures.

Karen, I'm laughing about the squirrels. We're overloaded with them! Sadly, here in the suburbs of NYC we also have too many deer...also wild turkeys, and coyote though I've never seen a coyote here, I know they're around. Squirrels are the bane of my dog's existence...well, really my existence since he enjoys chasing them.;)

Dave, good for you - I hope you have more opportunities!

Dave I got a chance not to see these images on my PC versus my phone, Bravo for you!!!!
Any chance to see one of these so stealthy and shy creatures is wonderful

Caught this guy just hanging out while I had the 70-150mm Vivitar on my NEX-3 at about 70 yards away.

I had a hard time getting a good image. He was sitting in the shade, while the background was sunny, so I tried the HDR option.

HDR
DSC01526%252Bw.jpg

DSC01532%252Bw.jpg

Regular
DSC01526+%25282%2529%252Bw.jpg

DSC01532+%25282%2529%252Bw.jpg

The HDR is a bit clearer, but looks processed. I was going to try a different mode, but then he wandered off into the grass.
Those Cats are hard to shoot.. they move around so much.. I have been there..

Back