Bokeh!

ZFC_1523.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M.

Nervous bokeh, just like in my old Zeiss Biometar MC 80/2.8.
Yep, the 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 II is definitely a "classic" lens - very interesting in many ways, just don't expect "perfection" in any way. It can deliver very appealing images, though - at or very near MFD, bokeh is completely smooth, for one thing, but colourful (LoCA is strong with this one ;). This is about twice that distance - and here we are with strong outlining. A bundle of "flaws" that add up to loads of fun ...

M.

Yep, the 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2 II is definitely a "classic" lens - very interesting in many ways, just don't expect "perfection" in any way. It can deliver very appealing images, though - at or very near MFD, bokeh is completely smooth, for one thing, but colourful (LoCA is strong with this one ;). This is about twice that distance - and here we are with strong outlining. A bundle of "flaws" that add up to loads of fun ...

M.
This type of bokeh is generated by several lenses I know. Of course, it depends on the distance and aperture value. It was with considerable surprise that I noticed such bokeh in images taken with the Canon EF 1.8/50 STM (f2.2). Zeiss designs, on the other hand, behave completely individually here. The Biometar I wrote about above is a de facto medium format lens (Pentacon Six), so due to its size it does not have to be of perfect quality. On the other hand, its behavior with an APS-C body (Canon) surprised me. I thought that since we use only the middle (optically best) part in this big lens, the image would just be very correct. However, it turned out to be an artistic glass :)

This type of bokeh is generated by several lenses I know. Of course, it depends on the distance and aperture value. It was with considerable surprise that I noticed such bokeh in images taken with the Canon EF 1.8/50 STM (f2.2). Zeiss designs, on the other hand, behave completely individually here. The Biometar I wrote about above is a de facto medium format lens (Pentacon Six), so due to its size it does not have to be of perfect quality. On the other hand, its behavior with an APS-C body (Canon) surprised me. I thought that since we use only the middle (optically best) part in this big lens, the image would just be very correct. However, it turned out to be an artistic glass :)
I own the Biometar (twice, actually, and a couple of Pentaxon Six bodies - it was my second earnest foray into medium format film, that system), but honestly wasn't aware of its character. So, thank you for the information! I've already planned on taking out the Sixes come spring :)

Small 50mm lenses ("nifty fifties") tend to be character lenses - my Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI-S (last generation) definitely shows a lot of these "adaptable" (varying) rendering characteristics, depending on distance and aperture. But I find the Nikon lens a bit less "fun" than the 7Artisans (and the Nikkor *is* optically better).

M.

I own the Biometar (twice, actually, and a couple of Pentaxon Six bodies - it was my second earnest foray into medium format film, that system), but honestly wasn't aware of its character. So, thank you for the information! I've already planned on taking out the Sixes come spring :)

Small 50mm lenses ("nifty fifties") tend to be character lenses - my Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AI-S (last generation) definitely shows a lot of these "adaptable" (varying) rendering characteristics, depending on distance and aperture. But I find the Nikon lens a bit less "fun" than the 7Artisans (and the Nikkor *is* optically better).

M.

I love the general rendering of my two Minolta lenses - 58mm f/1.7 I think, and 50 f/2. But am aware I need to check those! Checked - hope correct.

Last edited:
Back