Leica Bought a used M8

Bought a used M8.2 on eBay. Kinda jumped on it because it's still under warranty, as new, AUD$4400, with the chrome top retro look. The price was reasonable when compared to other M8.2 prices (taking into consideration the ~15% import tax I would've had to pay for any online purchases from overseas).

I have to admit, I didn't realise there was a Leica forum here until I looked.

Welcome to the club!

An 8.2 was a bit richer than I wanted to pay until I was more certain if I wanted one, so I bought an M8. I prefer the chrome, but the best buy I found was on a black one, so that's what I have.

Welcome to the club!

An 8.2 was a bit richer than I wanted to pay until I was more certain if I wanted one, so I bought an M8. I prefer the chrome, but the best buy I found was on a black one, so that's what I have.

I was in a bind over this too, deirdre. There was an M8 on eBay for about $3000 but it was previously an ex-demo model before life with its current owner, slightly battle-worn, and was out of warranty.

The M8.2 I ended up buying was hardly used during its life, is in pristine condition and also having communicated with the seller I am feeling pretty good about him too. I also checked out the shutter sound between the M8 and M8.2 on youtube, I really like the quieter shutter on top of the discreet mode on the M8.2, that was an important point for me (I have been spoilt by the LX5, its very discreet size and silence). But the thing that I liked was the pristine condition and the warranty until July 2011. And the chrome retro! I feel like I can legitimately start wearing horn rimmed glasses too.

Wowee, Traam! Congrats! Let the M8 shots begin!:drinks:

But before that, let the bread and water diet begin first! And the search for used lenses. I'll probably be looking at something at 50mm-ish as the first lens, although I'm aware that there is a 1.3x crop, so maybe I should look at a 28mm.

I picked up a used Voigtlander 28mm f/1.9 Ultron, which is a screw-mount lens but works beautifully. In practice, it's the lens that gets left on the camera most of the time. That plus the 45mm Panaleica on my GF1 make a nice travel set.

I picked up a used M8 about 8 months ago. I love shooting with it, even though it had blue leather. Hope to change it one of these days. I use a 50mm Summicron from my M6. Normally I use my 28mm f2.8 Elmrit IV most of the time. It's the easiest combo to use for quick street shooting.

I picked up a used Voigtlander 28mm f/1.9 Ultron, which is a screw-mount lens but works beautifully. In practice, it's the lens that gets left on the camera most of the time. That plus the 45mm Panaleica on my GF1 make a nice travel set.

I picked up a used M8 about 8 months ago. I love shooting with it, even though it had blue leather. Hope to change it one of these days. I use a 50mm Summicron from my M6. Normally I use my 28mm f2.8 Elmrit IV most of the time. It's the easiest combo to use for quick street shooting.

Ah I have to start looking at, and learning rangefinder/Leica lens terminology and brands. I have previously only looked at Canon lenses for my 7D. That Voigtlander 28mm f/1.9 Ultron looks alright for that price though, and with the 1.3 crop that comes up to about 36.4mm (roughly within the 35mm range!). I think I'd be happy to start with that one lens first and build up from there.

Why would you change the blue leather! Heresy! :)

Seriously, I'd pay extra for mine to have blue leather.

After we just had a brief discussion about the pros and cons of the higher cost of the M8.2, all it takes is apparently blue leather that you would pay extra for. Not the quieter shutter, not the anti-scratch LCD screen, not the more accurate frame lines. Not the warranty.

The blue leather.

View attachment 31785

Well, I don't like black, what can I say? I would definitely pay for the quieter shutter though, don't get me wrong. There's differences of opinion on the framelines, but the better LCD screen seems worth an upgrade if one's already sending a camera back to Solms. :)

Back