Leica Bowie remembrance display

ecowarrior

My home town of Aylesbury, UK, has a bit of history with David Bowie. He played the famous (?) Friars Club among other venues and the world's first performance of Ziggy Stardust was played here. The location of the Friar's club moved a few times during its time but at the time of Bowie it was housed in the Borough Assembly Hall that was located behind the Green Man pub, accessible through the archway.

Today they've been having a low-key remembrance display for him under the arches near to where the hall once stood, so I popped down there with my camera. Nothing special here, just a bit of reportage. Only just started to use this camera, not sure if I trust the built in meter as yet but quite like the results.

All taken on my Leica M5, Voigtlander 50mm 1.5, Ilford HP5+ developed by me, using special magic and wizardry, in D76.

Bowie-5.jpg

Bowie-6.jpg

Bowie-8.jpg

Bowie-7.jpg

Thankyou for posting these- David Bowie is a class act, his passing is felt around the world.
How he handled his end-of-life: an inspiration for all those that will follow.

Thank you :)

Not sure if I trust the M5's meter. Need to do some tests on it to see how accurate it was. I was relying on a light meter on my phone this time round. No big deal. Not sure if the yellow filter I had on the lens made any difference.

Focussing wise, I do like that. Very easy and quick to do.

And developing - Ilford's chart in the film box suggests 35mm HP5+ needs 11 minutes at 20deg, which is what I've been doing up until now. However the online developing database website suggests 13 minutes and that is what I did this time and think I'll stick to that. I also made sure the developer was at 20degrees this time and not just "thereabouts".

And finally, I've sussed why I was getting straight line scratches on my negatives. The squeegee I'm using is borrowed from a friend, and that is what's doing it. So I'll stop using that and use my fingers instead.

Otherwise, love that camera. And every time I shoot and develop film, I learn something. Which is all good.

Back