Feedback Brainstorming a new name for the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh gosh I just went back a step and read your final decision Amin.

I know I've been mostly flippant in this thread, but in all seriousness, "Gear and Photo" is just bloody awful

Reactions: BBW
I'm glad there are a few that said it before me but I think Gear and Photo could be the worst name yet

No cache or verve there at all - its plain Insipid

I'm with the Brits on not loving Gear & Photo. Unless you want that Car & Driver and Home & Garden vibe, in which case it is perfect.

I'm really back to thinking Why change the name at all? Appropriate sub-forums have been added to foster discussion beyond "compact" cameras. The community will be what it will be, with maybe a little less feeling that you can't hang around if you upsize your camera or whatever, which is a good thing. I don't think any of the names mentioned are going to somehow draw folks here en masse. I know nothing of SEO, but I assume it goes way beyond the URL, so does it really matter much?

To elaborate ... "Gear and Photo" conjures for me an image of a guy with a huge beer belly, shorts and sandals with (long) socks and a beanie, standing at the magazine rack reading it with his mouth slightly ajar. and he's got BO

So what makes this place special? Yes, we are interested in gear, but I don't think that we are gear obsessed. Yes, we are interested in IQ, but we're not obsessed by that either. We became interested in serious compacts for a number of reasons, one being that we can't stand the thought of being someplace photo-worthy and not have a camera worthy of the moment. So what terms describe this aspect of the group?

The Compulsive Photographer?
The Obsessive Photographer?
The Daily Photographer?
The Opportunistic Photographer?
The Committed Photographer?
The Constant Photographer?

What else?

Hurry, before Amin registers Gear and Yawn! ;)

To elaborate ... "Gear and Photo" conjures for me an image of a guy with a huge beer belly, shorts and sandals with (long) socks and a beanie, standing at the magazine rack reading it with his mouth slightly ajar. and he's got BO

Seconded.

It just conjures really negative mental images.

Reactions: pdh
Given that there seems to be a push to maintain the status quo, how much of an argument is there for leaving seriouscompacts as it is and starting afresh with a new forum format? SC only has a small regular membership to "port over" to a newly branded site, albeit it does have a large legacy of existing threads.

I am increasingly finding the traditional forum image thread to be a less than ideal means of displaying and viewing images. I do wonder if, over and above a regular forum including image threads, something like the flickr developer developer code could be adopted such that images can be displayed by large thumbnails in a chronological "photostream" style manner and allow the viewer to click through to larger versions of images that catch their eye. Using the flickr developer code as is means of course that images must live on flickr and exist in specific groups. Now if it were possible to post a link from any hosting site into the forum "pool", assign it to different catergories/groups/etc, and have the forum software manage the downsampling of the image to a large thumbnail, I think that would be very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back