Bridges of the New River Gorge

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Here I am back after another road trip. The New River Gorge and its tributaries have many bridges both small and large. My goal this day was to hit several of the more notable waterfalls, and to do that, I crossed a lot of bridges. Unfortunately, there was a solid overcast all morning, but I did my best. Here with the X30 are some of my favorites:

A couple of bridges over lower Wolf Creek right above its confluence with the New:
DSCF4300-1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Fayette Station Bridge just above Fayette Station Rapids. This is just a small part of the rapids. People who float that are crazy!
DSCF4302-1.JPG

About mid-way up the canyon wall, Kaymoor Trail crosses Wolf Creek. This bridge is about 50 yards upstream of the huge Wolf Creek Falls:
DSCF4305-1.JPG

Standing at the base of Wolf Creek Falls (you'll see those in another post). The vast New River Gorge Bridge carrying US 19 over the canyon is off in the distance:
DSCF4308-1.JPG

Kaymoor Trail over Wolf Creek. The trail on the other side is closed due to instability in the very steep slope it traverses:
DSCF4311-1.JPG

The New River Gorge Bridge was the longest single-arch span bridge in the world when it opened in the late 1970s. It is closed for Bridge Day the 3rd Saturday of every October so BASE jumpers can legally parachute or rappel the 900 feet down to the river:
DSCF4334-1.JPG

Looking upstream toward the bridge from a favorite local put-in spot:
DSCF4335-1.JPG

This bridge at Prince carries WV 41 across the New. It is a newer, more modern bridge than is found in many of the state's larger communities, and WV 41 is a very well maintained road leading down to the bridge. This is one of the most remote places I have ever been, yet the road was pretty busy. Even more amazing is there is an active Amtrak station along the river just past the trees in this photo. Google "Prince WV Amtrak" to see what I mean:
DSCF4336-1.JPG

A closer look at the railroad bridge in the preceeding image:
DSCF4342-1.JPG

Finally, this is an image of the New River Gorge Bridge from the Fayette Station crossing. It is with an Olympus E-M5. I didn't have time to get one with the X30, as I was stopped on the smaller bridge, and a car came down the hill before I could pull out the X30:
TA220182-1.jpg

Them autumn colors! :clapping:I am so glad it is fall. These are some nice shots. It is a shame when the sun decides to go in to hiding. I can't imagine how beautifully the colors of the leaves would have popped!

Them autumn colors! :clapping:I am so glad it is fall. These are some nice shots. It is a shame when the sun decides to go in to hiding. I can't imagine how beautifully the colors of the leaves would have popped!
Just as I was headed back to my car at my final destination, the sun finally broke through. It was chilly and blustery, with billowing clouds all about, and golden Autumn light breaking through the clouds. A classic October afternoon, and it made for an excellent drive back home.

DSCF4330-1.JPG

DSCF4328-1.jpg

Back