Leica bright, snowy night and dragon.

carlb

All-Pro
Quite the snow storm we're having here. Also, very bright out - one of the odd winter nights where colors are easy to see.

12670974195_5fc8eb1133_b.jpg

snowy night by cbmn, on Flickr

dragons asleep by cbmn, on Flickr

The shaggy bit of willow and fallen trunk seemed ready to awaken as a midnight dragon by the lake. I didn't wait around long enough to find out ... ;)

You ventured out in it for some nice pictures!

Last week's snow- I was getting over "something" this time around, did not venture out until I had to. Then it was shoveling a very long driveway...

Ugh, I know the shoveling drill all too well. I wimped out this year and hired a service. Best $300 I ever spent, definitely doing so again next year!

I left the car at the top of the driveway- thinking from the weatherman's report that we would get 4". Missed that mark by a Foot.

Brian, coming home after taking these, my van lost traction on a slight incline near the house and came to a stop. No going forward (rear-wheel drive), so reverse it was, unfortunately that was without steering control so back I slid into a left-side of road snow bank. AAA was absolutely no help for a few hours (I wasn't enough of an emergency), so I just had to lock things up and slog the 100 yards to the house.

(No, I didn't just go out to take these photos, I had to be out anyway. :) )

Went back this morning, and our city's finest had slapped an illegal parking ticket on. Van was completely plowed-in by then, and so waited for the tow truck to come out. At least AAA tow insurance took care of that.

Now my choice is to pay the $56 ticket or head downtown St. Paul in a few weeks and ask for a dismissal due to extenuating circumstance. Like the policeman couldn't see the extenuating circumstances. Argh.

Christi, the X Vario has an extended, raw sensor view for the wide-end of the lens. Perhaps 24mm equivalent or so. The jpgs correct this, but pay with a 28mm equivalence trimmed-view. The raw files leave the outside-the-corrected-frame bits in, so you can see the vignetting, and the slight fish-eye. I think both lend to this photo nicely. That and the chroma noise with a pushed ISO 1600 exposure, and a bit and the blurring from snow fall ... :)

Back