Fuji Broke Down. XE1 pre-ordered

I watched that video this morning as well. Congrats on your new camera. Now you need to start spelling your new camera correctly :tongue:

They all start with X and then a hyphen. Of course if you don;t get along with the camera, then it will become an EX X-E1. ;)

Did you also see this video......
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi my name is Steve and I'm a Fujiholic.........

Yeah I ordered it with the zoom which I'm sure I will never use....... I really wanted to get a second X Pro body so I could use the 35 and 18 and not have to change lenses. This seemed more cost effective.... I'm sure I could come up with a lot of other arguments but it would be pointless. I now have an X100, X Pro and soon and XE. I do eventually want the 23, 27, and 56mm lenses. Hopefully Fuji will stop or I'm going to be living in a cardboard box under a highway overpass soon. With my luck they will release an X100 with the new sensor.

Anyone know of any Fuji-dedicated forums? Maybe Amin can start a new forum :)
Congratulations - I can't imagine you won't enjoy it.. Here's a forum that started in the early days of the X100. I barely ever visit it anymore, but I think its still pretty vibrant:

Fuji X Forum

And the Fujifilm SLR/X100 forum on DPR isn't nearly as bad as some of the forums over there. It has its moments of insanity, but generally a friendlier place than the m43 forum there, or the Fujitalk, where the X10 orbs were all that were seemingly allowed to be discussed for a good long while...

-Ray

I was hoping they'd talk about the new zoom lens. I'm really curious about that, not because I'm interested in that lens, but may be in other Fuji zooms down the line, particularly the ultra-wide 10-24 scheduled for next year sometime. The zoom clearly has a zoom ring with numbered focal length equivalents marked on it, but I don't see an aperture ring anywhere, at least one that's marked. So do you change the aperture with an unmarked ring on the zoom or do you do it with one of the rear controls? I'd be really bummed to have to switch to a non-lens ring based aperture control - that's one of the real charms of this camera system. But then I'm not sure how a lens mounted version would work for a zoom as you move through the zoom range, where the wider apertures become unavailable... Maybe like the LX7 where the ring just gives a false value if you have it set to an aperture that's not available at that zoom level?

I'm also curious about the whole OVF / zoom lens dynamic with the X-Pro and future OVF bodies.... I'd been told by a Fuji tech guy in New Jersey that the zoom lenses just flat would NOT work with the OVF and when they were mounted the camera would just automatically go to the EVF. But I've read somewhere in the last couple of days ago that the zoom will work with the OVF and the framelines will automatically change as you zoom - it won't automatically switch magnification levels so at the longer end the framelines are gonna be REALLY small, but I guess you can manually change it at some middle focal length if you'd like, to move between the current default positions for the 18mm and 35mm lenses. Sounds like a bit of a pain and coule be confusing, but sort of cool that its at least theoretically available. And I assume it just plain wouldn't work with the 10-24, since the widest setting would be too wide for the least magnified setting of the OVF. Or with the future telephotos where the framelines would get prohibitively small at the long end, even with the higher level of magnification - they're already really quite small with the 60mm lens... To me, this is one of the really interesting design challenges associated with this system as it evolves and I'm just really curious about it. And, of course, this second set of questions has absolutely NOTHING to do with this particular camera body, so I'll apologize for intruding on this thread with it and bid you all good afternoon! :rolleyes:

-Ray

I read the aperture ring on the zoom is unmarked but has positive clicks. Actually, maybe it was in one of the videos...

That probably makes sense for how it works, but it eliminates the wonderful feedback of a lens with the apertures marked on the lens barrel so you don't have to look at the electronic information to know where you are. On a slightly related topic, it looks like the 14mm is gonna have a marked aperture ring AND a marked focus ring with a distance scale and DOF scale. Looking forward to checking that out - wondering if its like the Oly 12mm but with the lens fixed to the manual focus position rather than snapping back and forth. So when you're using AF, will the distance still line up or will that part only work in manual focus. Don't think I'll buy that one - its crazy expensive and my gut tells me its too wide for an everyday lens but not as wide as I'd want for real UWA shooting, so I'm not sure where it would fit for me, but I'd like to check it out anyway. But I kind of thought that about the Oly 12mm also and I adapted to using that as an everyday walk around lens pretty much immediately, so who know...

-Ray

The issue though is that the zoom is variable aperture.

Oh, yeah, I get why they probably CAN'T do it - just noting that its kind of a drag in terms of enjoying the interface and would make me that much less likely to get the lens. Not that I'd have been likely to anyway.

Now I'm trying to remember how they dealt with that with mechanical lenses in the old days. I only remember having one zoom on a film camera - an old Tamron or Tokina or something - a 28-85 that I had on my Nikon FE2. And I have no memory of whether the aperture was constant or not and, if not, did it just mechanically close down as you zoomed the lens, with the aperture ring turning along with it??? Absolutely no memory about that. Or maybe it was a constant aperture - the damn thing was big enough...

-Ray

I was wondering the exact same thing, but don't have any MF zooms with variable aperture.

On such lenses when you zoom in and aperture value increases, is it because of the glass movements or do aperture blades actually close?

Back in time, the aperture value wasn't change on the aperture ring (I've checked it on my 2 zooms), when there is no constant aperture.
So, i guess that the only move was internal to the lens. At that time, it was less important, as there where no such things as the EXIF data.
Like you, I wish we have zoom lens like we used to have with aperture markers, so easy to preset the camera without having to turn it on.

Panasonic made at least two zoom lenses with aperture rings and variable maximum apertures. You could select a wider aperture than was possible at longer focal lengths, but obviously the lens would only open up as far as it could and the actual aperture would be displayed in the viewfinder. Fund's method of an electronic only display of the aperture value avoids that ambiguity.

Weren't most of the early MF zooms constant aperture? I have a vivitar 70-210 for a Pentax ME Super, and it's a constant f4.

This looks like an interesting camera. This also looks like a cheaper alternative to an OMD + Pana 12-35 f2.8 lens. While this lens is f2.9 to f4, the f2.8 on the long end is fast enough for me.

Back