Now that April's there,
And whoever wakes in England
Sees, some morning, unaware,
That the lowest boughs and the brushwood sheaf
Round the elm-tree bole are in tiny leaf,
While the chaffinch sings on the orchard bough
In England - now!
Robert Browning, Home Thoughts from Abroad

We went for a walk in the bluebell woods on Friday, taking the dog. It's something special in this part of the world in Spring. We went into an area not far from us that's been dubbed "The Surrey Hills" (I bloody hate the modern trend to brand everything) close to the village of Abinger Hammer. I used the Zeiss 50 and the new Fujinon 50; they make an interesting pair.

Bluebell woods Abinger 1.jpg
Bluebell woods Abinger 6.jpg
Bluebell woods Abinger 7.jpg

The Fujinon 50 gets close...
Bluebell woods Abinger 8.jpg

...but the Zeiss Touit gets closer
Bluebell woods Abinger Fiddlehead 2.jpg

Bluebell woods Abinger Snail 1.jpg

My partners in crime...
Bluebell woods Abinger Becky  & Oscar 7.jpg

...sometimes their concentration wandered...
Bluebell woods Abinger Becky  & Oscar 2.jpg

Good question.

The only thing that is the same between them is the focal length, to be honest. Otherwise they are two totally different propositions:

Fujinon: 50mm - Weather resistant - lightweight - F2
Zeiss: 50mm - 1-1 macro capable - built like a tank - F2.8

...so on paper the Fujinon is the better prospect - unless Macro is important to you... I'm shooting the two side by side at the moment and will do a review on just that theme.

Bill this is not meant as a criticism of you, but I have never seen a satisfactory photo from any camera of the Bluebell blue it's obviously a quality of the way the flowers reflect the colour or maybe an optical illusion!

Close ups seem to be fine as is yours, the wide shots display the response I'm very badly trying to explain!

No respect from the wife then.

Back