Bruges at night

Julien

Top Veteran
Name
Julien
I was in Bruges a few days ago, and managed to take a few snaps of the town at night. I found it to be a difficult place to photograph, as really nothing is straight there, and sometimes there's not enough space to frame a shot properly. I rarely find ultrawides useful but in this case I would have been happy with a 14mm or so.

Some could have turned out better, but anyway here they are:

7494475510_45218758fa_b.jpg

DSC08266 by julienmartlet, on Flickr

7494428062_95f959a7e8_b.jpg

DSC08262 by julienmartlet, on Flickr

7494433660_70cc89ef93_b.jpg

DSC08253 by julienmartlet, on Flickr

7494449568_2a3df51dcc_b.jpg

DSC08229 by julienmartlet, on Flickr

7494442910_87d463f4b8_b.jpg

DSC08235 by julienmartlet, on Flickr

7494460672_f8e51fc59a_b.jpg

DSC08215 by julienmartlet, on Flickr

7494469096_4b7259bb3c_b.jpg

DSC08205 by julienmartlet, on Flickr

Very nice Julien...! One of my favorite places for pictures, unfortunately the few times I was there I did not really bring a decent camera, but your photos remind me it is time to go back soon...:). Thanks for posting!

Great set Julien. I remember running through Bruges in the day, was only there for a few hours while on a driving trip through Belgium. Your pictures make me wish I'd stayed the night.

Excuse me?
"Some could have turned out better"
I'd be thrilled with these - especially, for my tastes, numbers 2 through 5! Wow!

Of course I immediately wanted to know - was this with the X100 and felt the need to find out the EXIF stuff. It doesn't matter what camera you used because the images are stunning. For me your third is magical!

Thanks for the feedback everyone :) Much appreciated.

Of course I immediately wanted to know - was this with the X100 and felt the need to find out the EXIF stuff. It doesn't matter what camera you used because the images are stunning. For me your third is magical!

Thanks so much! I was with The Girlfriend for this short trip. She recently bought a used NEX-3 on my advice (you can find them dirt cheap here these days, about €200-250 with the kit lens in mint condition). I played a bit with it and found that I could adapt old manual lenses on it and make it a good companion to the X100 (I find the peaking feature incredible). So I bought my own NEX-3 and generally use it with a fast 50mm to pair with the X100 standard-wide.

Anyway this trip was more about being together than a photo trip, so I only brought the NEX-3 with 18-55 and a very small and light tripod called Gorillapod GP-2 that I bought a couple of days before. It was a bit awkward to use, I hadn't had the chance to try it, and it's not quite as stable as a proper tripod, but it's useful nonetheless. I see it as a super optical stabilizer: most of these shots were taken at shutter speeds around 1 second, and it did the job (you don't wan't to use it for much longer exposures though, vibrations would ruin the shot).

All in all I'm pleased with the gear. I would have been a bit happier with the X100, but NEX-3 is no slouch (controls are terrible but IQ is almost on par with the Fuji IMHO) and the GF has improved her photography a lot using it.

Sorry for the long answer :)

Back