Fuji Build quality question for X-M1 owner(s)

jdk

Rookie
With the price drop at Amazon.co.uk I decided to get the X-M1. I'm basically very happy with it but I have a couple of questions about the build. If somebody with an X-M1 could give me their thoughts I'd be grateful.

First off, I'm not expecting it to be like my X100 :) That said, the PASM dial feels wrong. There seems to be a little side to side play. It feels a little like the mechanism is attached to the rear of the camera but not also at the front. The movement is small though. Is this normal? Should it feel like the X100 shutter speed dial?

The other thing is a "boing" sound the lens makes when pressing the play button (i.e. switiching from shooting mode to play mode). It's quiet, but just seems weird to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it's cheaper -- but I've beat it up on urbex trips now, and photographed the hot zone of a steel mill and got the camera so hot you almost couldn't hold it and it performed flawlessly. I was wearing heavy gloves when using it and didn't even realize it had absorbed that much heat.

It's made out of plastic, and built down to a price point -- that being said, I think the build quality is excellent. It's like the difference between buying a Lincoln vs. a Ford Focus: they both are excellent in their own right but the "feel" is going to be very different.

If I were you, I'd forget all that stuff and just go make great pictures -- which it does well.

Many thanks John - it's the wobbly dial that worries me more. I don't want it wobbling right off when I'm far from home and somewhere that will do a warranty repair - I'm off to Vietnam soon and the UK warranty will be useless there. I know it's a cheaper camera but the rest of it feels pretty solid. After a less than good experience with 2 X-E1 cameras (admittedly one was a refurb) I'm a little cautious.

Many thanks John - it's the wobbly dial that worries me more. I don't want it wobbling right off when I'm far from home and somewhere that will do a warranty repair - I'm off to Vietnam soon and the UK warranty will be useless there. I know it's a cheaper camera but the rest of it feels pretty solid. After a less than good experience with 2 X-E1 cameras (admittedly one was a refurb) I'm a little cautious.

You say "wobbly" as in "loose" mine has side to side play if I push on it, but I wouldn't call it loose -- it just has some "give".

Well, you're traveling far away and that makes any gear a risk, but most especially lower end gear. I'm sorry to hear about your X-E1's. I had one and now have an X-E2 and no problems. But it is possible for one to flip a coin and have it come up tails 10 times in a row when we've called "heads" -- sounds like you had one of those runs of luck? Hope it gets better!

Back