Busy day on the river

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Beautiful afternoon to be on the river yesterday after work, and a lot of people were taking advantage of it. I thought it was cool I was standing at the University of Charleston, on a river running through Charleston, watching a boat named Charleston push several barges full of coal past the Capitol building. X30.

DSCF0430-1.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF0432-1.JPG

DSCF0434-1.JPG

DSCF0438-1.JPG

DSCF0441-1.JPG

DSCF0442-1.JPG

DSCF0443-1.JPG

Very nice natural shots :) I always enjoy seeing people out and about outdoors. Around these parts, you don't see it often. Maybe like the first 2 months of Summer then everyone is indoors. Waste of appreciating the beauty of nature.

I was in Charleston in May this year as well. Had no idea there was rowing on the river. I'm a Masters rower myself ( just means I'm over 18) just a novice. Really enjoyed our visit. and our walk round the water front and the market. Hopefully Hurricane Matthew hasn't done a lot of damage.

I was in Charleston in May this year as well. Had no idea there was rowing on the river. I'm a Masters rower myself ( just means I'm over 18) just a novice. Really enjoyed our visit. and our walk round the water front and the market. Hopefully Hurricane Matthew hasn't done a lot of damage.
Don't know if you are talking about us or Charleston, SC. They are a significantly larger city, much farther south, and I thought I saw on the news that they got hammered. We just had a few hours of rain.

Hi Tony,
I have just found your images taken with the X30. They are very impressive. I have an X30 and can never make my mind up to just put the camera into auto DR and Auto iso and just shoot Jpegs against shooting in Raw and Jpeg at Dr100 and iso800 . Just wandered what your (preferred) settings where for the lovely images that you posted.
Cheers Ian.

Thanks Ian. I use RAW if I feel I need to get more shadow detail, but much of the time I just work from a JPEG. Both the Provia and Astia film simulations work well. I prefer to use manual settings, including focus. It was really bright that evening, and I recall bumping up against the camera's shutter speed limit, so I boosted the ISO to 800. I keep the DR at 100. I find f/5.6 is a pretty good start for landscapes, and I typically shoot my images at -.7EV, and adjust the endpoints of the levels in GIMP for the best contrast.

Tony

Hi Tony,
Thanks for the info. I usually shoot in DR100 too. The Jpegs are really good if exposed correctly arn't they!.
With the RAW files I find that I can never sharpen them as good as the Fujifilm Jpegs. I quite often reach the shutter speed limit if I am shooting wide open around f/2.8. What I am finding is that in comparison to my Olympus OMD EM10 camera Jpegs I am always drawn to theFujifilms images. Strange that, as I use some pretty nice prime lenseson the OLY.
It just shows how organic the X30 is. If only they would do a 1" sensor version.
Thanks.
Cheers Ian.

Took the opportunity to stroll along the river in downtown on a splendid afternoon today. Our riverfront is very picturesque this time of year. X30 again.

DSCF4229.JPG

DSCF4235.JPG

DSCF4228.JPG

DSCF4241.JPG

DSCF4239.JPG

Back