Leica Buying a camera to use a lens ...

carlb

All-Pro
I like what I'm seeing others get from the Leica TL 11-23mm ...

Search: 11-23mm leica | Flickr

I'm such a scenery shooter that this lens set its hooks in me. A bit of a pricing hunt commenced.

A bit pricey new, but saw one on the eBay for $900. Hmmm. Well what's the camera going for, used? $650 buy it now??? Dang! Get the camera to shoot the lens!

They'll be here, along with a used Visoflex, a rubbery strap, and a $50 half-case, toward the end of the week. Multiple sources to get these prices, the silly strap is due in first ("Amazon Prime"). Get to go, "ooh, ahhh" over a rubbery strap while waiting for the real stuff to arrive. I refuse to whine.

But if I start shooting this darned thing for real, we'll need a "T" forum. Or maybe a "More Wide-Angle Stuff from Carl" forum.

I was also very tempted by the T but I am easily tempted by anything that I don't have anyways :D Enjoy your new toy Carl.

Just think that the lens will also work with the SL so one less lens to buy when you eventually pick up a SL

You should have just pick up the SL instead of the T. Save you one step. You know you will eventually get one. Not a matter of if but when. hehehe

Hopefully I can hold off until I can get one used at a really good price, then!

Lens came faster than the Amazon Prime strap. From Kenmore Camera. Still sealed from Leica. It's a beautifully made lens. Now, for a camera to arrive ...

12AUG - OK, camera arrived. Goofing around with it, trying to get the feel of the controls. Would have so much preferred a camera with the X Vario controls/buttons. We'll see what happens with the "T2," probably announced at Photokina.

Bad weather, work, and evening engagements have kept me from getting it out for a good shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all here: lens, camera, case, evf. A bit heavier than I prefer. The case has a metal plate on the bottom, I didn't expect that. It adds a bit to the height and weight that I didn't want. But the case has openings for battery and accessing the SD card, and it protects the screen all the way around. So in all a net positive.

28345911343_f0bc2a7f35.jpg

Leica T rear
by Carl B, on Flickr

28857518672_1b8f6c5874.jpg

Leica T front
by Carl B, on Flickr

Took it out yesterday, getting used to it. Thought I'd set it for "raw + jpeg," but only found jpegs when complete. I must not have set the date either. I prefer working from raw, just so much more can be done and cleaner at 100% viewing.

Camera had a few "Shutter Error" glitches, seemingly when I wanted to get a moving bird or such in the frame. Had to turn the camera off then on to clear it.

Getting used to the sensor output. I was working with early afternoon light, often with clouds obscuring the sun. The sensor is very CMOS, no hint of CCD unfortunately. Seems on the 'cool' side. Not my best results, but it's a start. No self-cleaning of the sensor, so a few dust specs had to be removed in post.

View attachment 12803
view from sucker lake shore by Carl B, on Flickr

28891947321_fb48822164_b.jpg

sucker lake
by Carl B, on Flickr

28350078933_607a379842_b.jpg

spotted joe-pye weed
by Carl B, on Flickr

The lens is exceptional. Just sharp, aberration-free, and even decent sun-stars. Controls flaring really well, no hood for these shots.

View attachment 12806
thistle and star by Carl B, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Leica T being listed as "discontinued." No problem here, the now discounted price was already reflected.

I'm reading rumors here and there that a replacement is likely to be announced at Photokina. Seems to be using the same battery, complete with body-comforming bottom. So, likely the same shape as the discontinued Typ 701's body.

Assuredly an updated sensor, but I wonder if Leica chose to change anything else to better sales ...

Personally I would have preferred the X-Vario body style and controls, but with the T mount. Regardless, I'd be purchasing it used a year or two from now anyway.

Back