Fuji Buying a xe1 with 27mm.

rav

Regular
Hi guys,
Iam a olympus em 10 owner and very happy with its performance and image quality .
But have been a fuji fan since long .
Is the xe1 a good buy with a 27mm ? I dont intend to shoot any action or sports . I like shooting street potraits though and anything which intrests me .
Is the af speed seriously very lethargic to the point of getting frustration ?
And how is the image quality compared to olympus ? Iam 99% of time jpeg shooter .
Or shall i give it a pass and wait for a good xe2 deal ?
Thanks in advance .

Rav, first of all, welcome. The X-E1 and 27mm lens is a good combination, and works well for street use because it is discreet and easy to handle. I have used that combination albeit today my 27 pretty well lives on my X-M1. AF speed is both an absolute, and also subjective - the question being is it fast enough for you... Personally I often set mine in MF and zone focus at ISO400 and f8 for street use.

I love the 27mm for it's compact dimensions and ~40mm focal length (in old money). It is one of the "sleepers" in the system, delivering tremendous value for money. With a 27 and 60mm combination and an X-E1 you could travel the world and bring back images to be proud of.

Finally, much of my shooting ends up as SOOC jpg but bear in mind that the X-E has a built-in raw converter which does a good job of rescuing those images that are just on the edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rav
I too come from M4/3 land and had the oly e-m10...the x e1 is a little slower than any m4/3 camera..providing you dont have to focus on under 5 year olds zipping about you could get by....I loved output from e x1 a lot more than oly jpegs.....somehow seem a lot less digital and more cinematic is how describe its jpeg output....but truthfully sold my x e1 and went back to M4/3 really just for the P20 mm f1.7...which incidentley is the approx same view as fuji 27mm..and the quicker focus on my child...all else fuji wins hands down!...my X-T10 smokes my Gx7 ...oly e-m10 or e m5 i had.

Thanks very much guys for your valuable replies .
I dont intend to shoot kids ,and incase i have too the em10 can help there .
For street potraits and just a walk around cam , is the xe1 enough ? I have the sony nex 5 too , does the focussing speed on xe 1 bad then the one in nex5 ? If yes i will give it a pass . If its comparable then maybe i will think .
Here is my flickr gallery incase if you want to see the kind of photography i do so you could prefectly tell me if xe 1 will be more then enough or shall i wait for xe2 deals .
Flickr

.btw i intend to buy the 27mm and 35mm later incase i buy any fuji .
is the 35mm on xe1 very slow to focus ? And in general does the xe 1 has tendency to miss focus ?

The advancements since the XE1 are noticeable, especially regarding the speed of key operations. A friend here in town has the XE1, so I sometimes grab it and shoot when we're hanging out. It's perfectly fine for more ponderous, patient shooters, and they're practically free these days, so it sounds like if $ is a big concern, this may be an ok option for you. If, however, you have any ability to go with an XE2 or an X-T10 instead, even used, I would recommend it. Fuji did some great work refining their weak spots since the X100 / XE1 / X-Pro1.

If you DO wind up with an XE1, don't ever, EVER pick up a newer fuji and shoot with it. What you don't know won't hurt your wallet. :)

I have the original X100, and I have the X-T1 and 27mm. But the fact that the X100 has a Bayer sensor while the X-T1 has the X-Trans sensor means that they just render... differently to my eye. The Bayer was a bit softer and smoother, with a little less resolution but a little more "magic." The 23mm f2 lens on the X100 series is a very, very good lens, probably a touch better overall than the 27, but not by any large margin. I can dig up some samples for you, hold on...

I have the original X100, and I have the X-T1 and 27mm. But the fact that the X100 has a Bayer sensor while the X-T1 has the X-Trans sensor means that they just render... differently to my eye. The Bayer was a bit softer and smoother, with a little less resolution but a little more "magic." The 23mm f2 lens on the X100 series is a very, very good lens, probably a touch better overall than the 27, but not by any large margin. I can dig up some samples for you, hold on...

Kyle, these examples are great, thank you. I have not read much into the Bayer/X-trans sensor comparison as of yet but I can see how it renders slightly different, just unsure whether it's worth a change or not. I guess there's no better way to find out then get a 27mm and give it a try!

True. I think, for me, an X100T would be a better overall camera than the X-T1 and the 27, if I had no other lenses for the T than that 27. Having a stop more light, having a slightly wider focal length, and having marked aperture stops around the lens would be nicer. But having an X-T1, the 27, AND a bunch of other lenses is nicer (of course) than having just an X100T. So it's complicated.

Back