Fuji Buying Xpro1 now

I am dying to pick up a XP1 now. I bought it upon launch and returned it within 10 days. I did vow to "rebuy" it again once all the kinks were resolved. I just never got to it, sidetracked by a bunch of other cameras. Looks like it might be a good time now.

The price of an used XP1 is about the same as an used XE2. Makes my decision more difficult.

I am dying to pick up a XP1 now. I bought it upon launch and returned it within 10 days. I did vow to "rebuy" it again once all the kinks were resolved. I just never got to it, sidetracked by a bunch of other cameras. Looks like it might be a good time now.

The price of an used XP1 is about the same as an used XE2. Makes my decision more difficult.
So you're dying to pick up a XP1 now but the XE2 makes it more difficult? Mhhhhh... OVF vs. PDAF or what else? Are you a RAW or a jpg man :cautious:? I keep wondering how far the prices for a used XP1 will drop once Fuji introduces the XP2. I've seen some hardly used copies change hands for 400€ lately - ouch.
I'm in the market for a X100T myself but really don't want to know what it'll be worth in €€€ 2 years from now. Two sides of digital rot.

Go for it Armanius! I picked mine up new. Definitely can't go wrong for the price. Their more than half off the original price nowdays, with all the firmware updates the Xpro1 is a picture taking machine and fits in my hands like a glove!
It's a classic. It might not be the fastest, but i don't need fast. Think, compose and shoot. I'm in no hurry... :)

So you're dying to pick up a XP1 now but the XE2 makes it more difficult? Mhhhhh... OVF vs. PDAF or what else? Are you a RAW or a jpg man :cautious:? I keep wondering how far the prices for a used XP1 will drop once Fuji introduces the XP2. I've seen some hardly used copies change hands for 400€ lately - ouch.
I'm in the market for a X100T myself but really don't want to know what it'll be worth in €€€ 2 years from now. Two sides of digital rot.

Thanks for the congrats! The x100T is a nice camera indeed. I had one and could not get use to it in my hands. It was to small for me. Very nice camera though without a doubt.
But, the Xpro1 was a match for me. ;)
Thx

One of the most irritating kinks in the XP1 (original version) was the lackluster AF speed and accuracy when using the OVF. I love the OVF though. On the XE2, I like having wifi remote control and face detection AF, which the XP1 will never have. So I suppose it's more like OVF vs wifi + FD.

I shoot JPG most of the time, but will use RAW if I need more latitude later on in PP.

One of the most irritating kinks in the XP1 (original version) was the lackluster AF speed and accuracy when using the OVF. I love the OVF though. On the XE2, I like having wifi remote control and face detection AF, which the XP1 will never have. So I suppose it's more like OVF vs wifi + FD.

I shoot JPG most of the time, but will use RAW if I need more latitude later on in PP.

AF speed has been improved since its debut. When using the OVF, parallax focusing takes time to get use to. The x100T is the same way. But you can always switch to EVF mode. Thats the beauty of the hybrid Vf.
It becomes second nature in time.
When I had the x100T I fiddled with the wifi and remote app. It was fun, but wasn't ground breaking for me and really never used it much at all. I new it was there, but by the time i got it to connect and used it all the fun was gone and it was limited for what i expected of it. Face detection on the x100T was kind of ok when your subjects face was in clear view of what the sensor saw, otherwise it was kind of a pain to remember to turn it off and back on again.
Phase detection was an added bonus though. Faster AF focusing. But I am old school kind of guy and all those features really don't tickle my fancy. They just get in the way and unfocus my ability to what I should really be focusing on. Only a few bells and whistles, but mostly I like mine plain. "not that the Xpro1 is plain".
"Buying Xpro1 now", was my decision . ;) MHHO...
Thx

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the most irritating kinks in the XP1 (original version) was the lackluster AF speed and accuracy when using the OVF. I love the OVF though.
The AF works really good now, on par with a 5D Mark II I had for a while IF there's enough contrast. That OVF is to die for, I wouldn't have bought the XP1 without it. It's still not as accurate as it could be but OK.

On the XE2, I like having wifi remote control and face detection AF, which the XP1 will never have.
Are we discussing play stations or cameras :cautious: ??? (just kidding). My old X10 has 'face recognition', lol. You can register your favorite folks and program that snapper to focus on aunt Emily instead of Uncle Bob. Jeeeeez. I'd throw that crap out if I could. YMMV.

I finally did it. Ordered an used XP1, and should have it by Thursday. Back to the Fuji X ILC family! Can't wait to take photos with the XP1 + 23 and 56!

I finally did it. Ordered an used XP1, and should have it by Thursday. Back to the Fuji X ILC family! Can't wait to take photos with the XP1 + 23 and 56!

Good boy :D , congrats! The 23mm is outstanding; it's just a pity it blocks a good part of the OVF.

Good boy :D , congrats! The 23mm is outstanding; it's just a pity it blocks a good part of the OVF.

This will be my first time using the 23 and 56. By blockage, you mean the lens itself right? The 56 is about the same size as the 23 right? So there should be some blockage too.

Hopefully the AF will be faster and more accurate than I remember.

Yes, you can see the larger lenses in the lower right part of the OVF. That's why the lens shades on the smaller lenses got their unique design.
Running the latest firmware I'm OK with the AF speed, it's about as fast as my NEX-7, give or take, fast enough for most of my stuff, but you need to feed it some decent contrast, preferably some vertical lines. So far I had no problems with accuracy, just make sure the AF frame is small enough (second or third smallest size) and there's nothing close by that can fool it.
OTOH manual focusing works OK now. There's focus peaking and a dedicated AE-L/ AF-L button to use AF in MF mode so once you get it down you can shoot the XP1 comfortably in MF mode or switch between the two modes swiftly if needed. All it needs is a little training. I shoot my XP1 in MF mode most of the time.

This will be my first time using the 23 and 56. By blockage, you mean the lens itself right? The 56 is about the same size as the 23 right? So there should be some blockage too.

Hopefully the AF will be faster and more accurate than I remember.

Re blockage, I use generic cut-out hoods from eBay. They do the job better than the standard hoods, particularly the one on the 35 that I have never got on with.

SnapDawg, you use MF even with the native AF lenses?
Yes, most of the time. I'm used to dedicated AF buttons from my ex-Nikons.

Does the view on the EVF auto magnify when the user starts turning the focus ring?
Not that I knew of. You have to (short) press the thumbweel to turn magnification on and off. A slight turn in either direction increases the mag. factor. A long press switches between [Focus peaking] and [Standard] mode = no focus peaking. All works pretty fast, comfortably and with some subjects more reliable than single or continuos AF. I'd welcome more available colors for focus peaking but even on the NEX I've been using white most of the time.

Back