Fuji Buying Xpro1 now

I typically don't use hoods. Is it a must on lenses like the 23 and 56?
I always use shades on all my lenses, all the time, even on a tripod back home. They not only protect the front element or filter and help to keep the contrast where it belongs but they have saved two of my cameras when they were taking spontaneous flight lessons.

Which generic cut-out hoods do you use? I did a search on eBay and didn't see any 62mm hoods with a cut-out.
While a vented hood is 'OK' for the 23mm, the tulip shaped thingie that comes with it gives better protection. On the 56mm a vented hood doesn't make too much sense if you ask me. I'd rather use the original plastic shade on that lens. Anyway, you got a terrific kit there.

It's a personal thing. I'm used to vented hoods from my Leica days. They stay on the lens at all times, don't have to be reversed and take a proper cap unlike those stoopid bayonet-on jobbies as found on the 35 and others. They also make the lens more stable when you put it nose-down on something and make it easier to pull lenses out of the bag. Win-win, in my book. I only use the zooms and the 14mm with the standard lens hoods.

It's a personal thing. I'm used to vented hoods from my Leica days. They stay on the lens at all times, don't have to be reversed and take a proper cap unlike those stoopid bayonet-on jobbies as found on the 35 and others. They also make the lens more stable when you put it nose-down on something and make it easier to pull lenses out of the bag. Win-win, in my book. I only use the zooms and the 14mm with the standard lens hoods.
I agree partially, Bill. I too don't feel the need to reverse vented hoods, they can live on the lens 24/7, make for a good lens stand and so forth but some of those chinese vented five € thingies that I've tried don't accept standard lens caps of the same filter size that easily, unless you use larger caps on the outer diameter and can live with dust and what not entering through those vents. Finally but not at least there's the aspect of optical efficiency (and OVF blockage in case of the smaller lenses) and that's what I guess the folks at Fuji had primarily on their minds when they designed those super stylish original hoods.
I can only hope Armanius doesn't mention filters :LOL:.

Filters!!! Hmmm ... what about them? I bought a 3 stop ND filter for the 56 and 23. I figure I may need them in bright light with the XP1's 1/4000 max shutter speed.

Bill, I think I know the vented hoods you are talking about now. The rounded ones right? I was looking for something more like the Zeiss and Leica hoods with the cut offs in the lower right corner.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Filters!!! Hmmm ... what about them? I bought a 3 stop ND filter for the 56 and 23. I figure I may need them in bright light with the XP1's 1/4000 max shutter speed.
It's always good to have some NDs flying around, especially with all that fast glass you have there in bright light. I was a bit afraid (BS) of yet another pro/con protection filter discussion so here are my 2ct. in advance - I use the best UV filters I can get (Hoya HMC Pro or BW F or XS Pro) and only take them off for some serious shots or in crazy light. BTW I carry my filters stacked in so called filter containers (threaded top and bottom metal discs) but don't know if they're still available, mine are about 30 years old.

That's good news. You might want to set the AF point selector to the lower button of the controller pad. For me it works way faster and more convenient than having to press the AF button in the lower left corner.
Looking forward to see some of your shots.

The combination of the XP1 + 56 or 23 are a whole lot bigger than I remembered.

Thanks for the tips Snap. I didn't even know that the directional control pads could be reassignable! I guess that must have been a firmware upgrade thing. I need to find somewhere that describes all the firmware changes since the original!

The combination of the XP1 + 56 or 23 are a whole lot bigger than I remembered.

Thanks for the tips Snap. I didn't even know that the directional control pads could be reassignable! I guess that must have been a firmware upgrade thing. I need to find somewhere that describes all the firmware changes since the original!
Welcome! From what I see you can only assign functions to the [Fn] button and the lower button of the controller pad. The left and right buttons can't be reassigned and are of no use in normal shooting mode ... GRRRRRRRR. Even though there's the Q menu I really don't know what went through their minds when they designed the button layout and didn't give us more choices, especially after all those FW upgrades we've seen. I've designed a number of medical devices myself and would have perfectly understood if a customer would have questioned my competence or sanity had I ever come up with anything like this.
Usually it's just a matter of a few lines of code.

Anyway, great camera, innit?!
Just keep asking, it's not that complicated. Once you've set everything up properly and have programmed your custom settings you can stay clear of the menus most of the time and just shoot away.

When using the OVF, I suppose there's not way to know precisely where the focus point will be other than somewhere between the two focus point markings (when using single point AF in the center, and parallax comes into play).

The XP1 feels a bit front heavy with the 23 and especially with the 56. I may need to get a grip or a thumb thingamajig to improve the balance.

Yes, I've also always found some programming choices bewildering. For example, the Oly cameras are SUPER customizable with lots of Fn buttons. Yet, Oly won't let the user assign metering to any of the customizable Fn buttons. That's been like that on all their cameras!! :(

When using the OVF, I suppose there's not way to know precisely where the focus point will be other than somewhere between the two focus point markings (when using single point AF in the center, and parallax comes into play).
Officially (forgot where) it's the green AF lock window, but
1. if you hold the camera steady or mount it on a tripod and switch between EVF and OVF you'll notice a difference between the locations of the green AF window. So it's
2. still a bit of a hit and miss affair, but there are ways to get away with close to a 100% keeper rate - AF wise.
3. Wait for the beep. There are those rare situations where you get the visual AF confirmation even though the focus hasn't locked. Trust that beep.

In case of your larger lenses using the OVF isn't much fun anyway but it's definitely loads of fun with the smaller glass. On top of that the OVF is lag free.

Xpro1 owners, is the shutter speed dial lock button supposed to be always locked unless pressed upon? Or can the user set it on unlocked with a single press?

Thanks!

Back