Caithness and North Highlands

AndyMcD

All-Pro
Inspired by @MoonMind here are some random pictures from the trip I'm currently on.

Noss Head is North of Wick, the lighthouse is automated these days but would have been manned in past times.
XT1A0121.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Castle Sinclair Girnigoe is near Noss. The castle has a lot of history attached, including being occupied by Cromwell's army in the 16th century. It is now being looked after - sadly, this wasn't the case until a few years ago.
XT1A0129.jpg

The castle is built on a rocky point, so is surrounded by high cliffs on three sides. This is the first year where the path down one side has been open, which allows this daunting view...
XT1A0147.jpg

Halkirk is a few miles outside of Thurso. It is said to be the first planned village in Scotland. It was also the site of a cathedral which was burnt down by the locals, with the bishop inside. The subsequent bishop moved to Dornoch in Sutherland.
XT1A0336.jpg
XT1A0337.jpg

River Thurso is a great spot for a walk, and a picnic...
XT1A0338.jpg

Then on to John O'Groats - this was the only decent picture I got there this year...

XT1A0389.jpg

Attachments

• XT1A0338.jpg
    XT1A0338.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 46
That's the first time I've seen Halkirk mentioned anywhere for a long time. When I was in my first band in the '60's, we toured Scotland regularly, mostly playing the RAF bases but we got as far as a little club which was in a house I think, somewhere in Halkirk. We went the next day to Thurso and it tipped it down with rain and the windscreen wipers on the van had packed in.

Big post this time. Me, my brother and my father in law went for a boys' day out to Durness, via Lochinver.

These were all take during a tea break at Elphin.

XT1A0395.jpg
XT1A0399.jpg
XT1A0401.jpg
XT1A0402.jpg
XT1A0404.jpg

Lochinver, lots of pleasure craft here.

XT1A0407.jpg

This is the Kylesku bridge, which replaced a ferry service. I remember this bridge being opened when I was a kid, but this is the first time I've actually seen it.

XT1A0420.jpg
XT1A0427.jpg
XT1A0435.jpg

Durness, which was the ultimate goal of our trip. There are lots of secluded beaches like these all round this coast.
XT1A0447.jpg

Finally, we took a detour to Skerray...

XT1A0451.jpg

Stopping off near Achavanich in Caithness, we found a walk around Loch Stemster.
XT1A0514.jpg

So, wild mushrooms are one thing - wild mushrooms growing out of cow pats are quite another!
XT1A0518.jpg

There is a point here, that is slightly raised and lets you see for miles and miles. This is the view to the south towards Scaraben and Ben Morven. You can also see all the way across to both Dunnet and Noss Heads from this point.
XT1A0532.jpg

The road here is called "the road to nowhere" - we didn't make it all the way, but it was pretty bleak...
XT1A0546.jpg

Caithness is very beautiful when the weather works in your favour...
XT1A0561.jpg

Attachments

• XT1A0514.jpg
    XT1A0514.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 36
On the South head of Wick bay you find the Trinkie - which is a large rockpool that was adapted to be a swimming pool of sorts.
XT1A0628.jpg

Walking further along takes in some of the cliffs and rock formations...
XT1A0645.jpg

This is Old Wick Castle, which is reckoned to be one of the oldest in Scotland - dating back to about 1160.
XT1A0655.jpg

It is on a pretty treacherous lump of rock - staying close to the castle is okay, straying too far may result in a short, sharp drop...
XT1A0656.jpg
XT1A0664.jpg

As I was headed back, I spotted Caithness Sea Tours taking some people in for a closer look...
XT1A0672.jpg
This part is known as Longberry. We used to climb down to the rocks to fish for mackerel. I tried to find the route down, but my memory isn't that good.
XT1A0677.jpg

Wow, great thread! I'll be in Lochinver tomorrow night, but I doubt I'll be able to do a lot of photography during the day - lots of driving to do ... But of course, I'll try, and if the opportunity presents itself, there'll be images.

M.

Back home for one night, so just enough time to PP a few B&W's...

A different perspective on Castle Sinclair Girnigoe, near Wick...

XT1A0158-Edit-Edit.jpg

I think I posted the colour version of this one earlier - this is the Kylesku Bridge

XT1A0420-Edit.jpg

Sinclairs Bay, is a wide bay with a very long and inviting beach. Following the German invasion of Norway in 1940, this was one of the invasion landing areas that were targeted by the German forces. Consequently, this whole coastline is littered with coastal defences - during the war it was also mined. Apparently it took two years to clear the beach of mines after the war.
XT1A0490-Edit.jpg

This was taken close to Loch Stemster - I wanted to capture the movement to give some sense of how windy and bleak it was.
XT1A0554-Edit.jpg

Back home for one night, so just enough time to PP a few B&W's...

A different perspective on Castle Sinclair Girnigoe, near Wick...

View attachment 184981

I think I posted the colour version of this one earlier - this is the Kylesku Bridge

View attachment 184982
Sinclairs Bay, is a wide bay with a very long and inviting beach. Following the German invasion of Norway in 1940, this was one of the invasion landing areas that were targeted by the German forces. Consequently, this whole coastline is littered with coastal defences - during the war it was also mined. Apparently it took two years to clear the beach of mines after the war.
View attachment 184983
This was taken close to Loch Stemster - I wanted to capture the movement to give some sense of how windy and bleak it was.
View attachment 184984
Love #3! I’d be proud to have done that one.

Back