Camera a Week Personal Challenge for Myself

gryphon1911

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
I'm taking a little bit of inspiration from the Single In concept and doing something else for myself. Not sure if I will do anything special as far as posting and I'm just sharing here about it to share.

Often I will decide, day to day what camera and lenses I carry. Sometimes I spend way too much time on it, an analysis paralysis of sort - trying to decide what to use.
The thought came to me today to do something slightly different. Much like the Single In, which runs for the month, I will choose a kit to use for the week. I will only take this kit with me for the week when shooting my personal or everyday carry kit. Anything "business" related will get the kit needed for the job.

This should help me exercise the use of my kits and also push me outside my comfort zone - thus challenging my skills and helping me grow...or at least to help me think outside the box for some time.

I'm of German ancestry (mostly) and we love structure and organization. :)
Every Sunday night, I'll setup my loadout (camera, lenses) and determine if I'll shoot with film simulations or straight up and process in Lightroom after the fact. Heck, I might even decide to shoot film, or instant at that time.

Just talking the plan out loud.

For example, I might go with something like this:

Week Starting 1/23/2023:
Olympus EM 1.2 and 12-100/4 OIS Pro

Week Starting 1/30/2023:
Fuji X-Pro2, Fuji 18-55/2.8-4, Fuji 90/2

Week Starting 2/6/2023:
Nikon Z fc, Nikon 24-100/4 S

Week Starting 2/13/2023:
Nikon Z6, 28/2.8 SE, 85/1.8S

That's an interesting 'menu' and it will be cool if you stick with it.
I'm mainly German too (well, 100% German heritage, just born in Africa) and I make it easy for myself:
Fuji X-T20 with (original) 27mm pancake and off I go day to day. Unless there's something specific I'm planning to shoot.
That said, I have a collection of way more lenses (and bodies) than I need, seeing I do most of everything so stripped down.

Noting your various combinations - how many different brands do you shoot, @gryphon1911 ?

That's an interesting 'menu' and it will be cool if you stick with it.
I'm mainly German too (well, 100% German heritage, just born in Africa) and I make it easy for myself:
Fuji X-T20 with (original) 27mm pancake and off I go day to day. Unless there's something specific I'm planning to shoot.
That said, I have a collection of way more lenses (and bodies) than I need, seeing I do most of everything so stripped down.

Noting your various combinations - how many different brands do you shoot, @gryphon1911 ?

Well...

I've got Nikon, Olympus, Ricoh, Fuji, Minolta A mount for the DSLR/mirrorless.
On the film front I have Yashica (35mm film rangefinder), Mamiya (TLR)
Fuji, Lomography, Diana and Polaroid on the instant film category.

Then I have a lomo Holga Digital and a Yashica Y35 digital for the odd hybrid world.

Well...

Then I have a lomo Holga Digital and a Yashica Y35 digital for the odd hybrid world.
Damnit. Now I need to justify adding a Y35 to my very short list of approved photo purchases for this year. What a crazy little thing, that I had no idea existed!

Well...

Hooooly guacamole, Sir. I bow to your superior lack of confusion (or something like that) shooting all those !
Whoa. Okay, so me justifying the Nikon Z fc was just the tiniest bump in the road then, I suppose, LOL

Never mind. A few YouTube videos later, and I don’t think I want anything to do with this camera 😂
It's not as bad as others would have you believe. Is it great or even good...no...but it is a lo-fi camera and that is what you can expect. I find the use of it a fun, quirky experience and an interesting diversion.

My review with sample images:

It's not as bad as others would have you believe. Is it great or even good...no...but it is a lo-fi camera and that is what you can expect. I find the use of it a fun, quirky experience and an interesting diversion.

My review with sample images:
Nice write up. Some of the comment though 😂…I mean jeez.

Don’t get me wrong, if I could score one for about 80-100 bucks, I’d be all over it. I figure it’ll be about as much fun, and see about as much use as my similarly priced Instax. But people are trying to sell them for more than the original kickstarter price now, and it’s obscene.

Nice write up. Some of the comment though 😂…I mean jeez.

Don’t get me wrong, if I could score one for about 80-100 bucks, I’d be all over it. I figure it’ll be about as much fun, and see about as much use as my similarly priced Instax. But people are trying to sell them for more than the original kickstarter price now, and it’s obscene.

I know that is ridiculous. Honestly, it was acceptable at the kickstarter price and I bought it for the novelty. I’d say it might be worth 50-80 USD now, or it should be anyway.

Back