Camera Addicts Anonymous :)

christilou

Legend
I'm beginning to get those "I need a new camera" cravings again. I need help. I have a hankering for the Pentax K30 which would mean that I'll have to sell the Olympus EM5. When I look back at the pictures I've taken with my cameras I'm fairly certain that I can replicate the "look" that I like with any one of them so why, oh why, do I feel that I need to change yet again :dash2:

I'm beginning to get those "I need a new camera" cravings again. I need help. I have a hankering for the Pentax K30 which would mean that I'll have to sell the Olympus EM5. When I look back at the pictures I've taken with my cameras I'm fairly certain that I can replicate the "look" that I like with any one of them so why, oh why, do I feel that I need to change yet again :dash2:

1. Because a change can stimulate our shooting and we all want to try new stuff even if we have no business doing so or even end up finding it wasn't as great as we thought..

2. Because advertisers are good at what they do and forums with people actually owning said object of desire usually have it because they like it, making it even more attractive..

3. Because GAS is incurable, it comes and goes, yes, but it never goes away. Psst, I have it right now too and my prior cure, buying old inexpensive film cameras, hasn't been working..

...my daughter going to college will. Can.. Not.. Afford.. Period. {note that second semester she will be in a photography class and 'relieve' me of my dslr or I will have to buy her one so.. }

Aside from your larger, philosophical question -- do you REALLY want to go back to looking through only an OVF, wondering what you'll get after you push the trigger (unless that mystery intrigues you :)

I think the OM5 really appreciates having you look through it, though. I've seen some of your shots, and they're wonderful.

How about a new lens instead :)

Do you still have that nice FA 77 around? You could send it to me and that may help lessen your K30 hankering. :D

I like the looks of the K30 too and the K5 deals have been very tempting. I am holding out for all the announcements in September. I have kind of been hoping for a K5 update with articulating screen and maybe a better job by Pentax with Sony's 24mpx APS-C sensor (lighter AA filter, etc.). Also, interested to see what Sony comes up with (A99, Nex6, the new NEX 35/1.8), along with Fuji (lower and higher end X bodies, X200?), and Nikon's new D600 "small" FF. Lots of good stuff coming down the line.

You can always rent, but that may not be as satisfying and you may not be able to rent all brands.

I can understand your cravings.

This is a good idea. I rented the OMD over the weekend, and when it went back, it actually drove me to shooting for a couple of days with my old EPM1s, and I had a great time doing it.

you don't need a new camera. period. you're getting great results with your current gear! Make it a challenge for yourself and your will power to hold on to your current gear until the current gear's limits are restricting you from realising your vision (which, with a camera as accomplished as the E-M5, may take a very long time).

I owned a K-30 for 3 days. It was heavy. Too heavy. I returned it. I've never owned a DSLR before and I always kind of laughed at people who were coming to m43 because they were tired of carrying their gear around. Now that I have had the experience, I will laugh no more. My hand was hurting after a pretty short photo shoot. I'd keep the E-M5.

Do you have to get rid of the E-M5 in buy the K30?

Maybe you could keep the E-M5 around with a couple lenses... either focal lengths you don't have in K mount, or as your smaller, lighter setup (P20, P14, etc.)?

One day at a time you just don't buy the next camera. You make a gratitude list and add one thing to it every day - something you like about your cameras or lenses or the results that you get with them or something, the good times you have together. And you look at your bank balance, then the shoes with holes in the sole, the trousers bursting through at the knees and wonder if a new camera is top priority right now....

Or - go buy the camera and justify it to yourself later. Like I did :)

I don't think that you need any of us to tell you that a new camera won't make you a better photographer, although I don't believe that that is entirely true either. A new camera will usually get you out and about to test it, and will force/encourage you to use it in different ways and to attempt to find its strengths and weaknesses.

A couple of new purchases this year has had me taking more photos, have a higher keeper rate, and even caused me to revise the way I shoot and process images from my existing GH1 such that I am happier with it than I ever was before.

Don't call it enabling, call it anti-disabling ;)

Just another thought as well; I find the most unproductive time to be when I am agonising over a possible purchase. Once the deed is done, it's game on!

Share with us what you have, such that we will be able to give better advice what to buy:rofl:

Back