Camera advertisement in US TV - unusual sightings!!

Armanius

Bring Jack back!
Name
Jack
I was watching the Travel Channel (one of my favorite channels) yesterday night around 9 - 11 p.m. CST. If I remember correctly, "Man vs. Food" was on. I was shockingly surprised when Panasonic had a commercial about its "G" camera lineup. Must have been an old commercial as the GF2 was the highlight camera. Nevertheless, it was THE first time ever I'd seen a Panasonic camera commercial on TV.

To my surprise, a few minutes later, Canon had a commercial as well, highlighting the Rebel camera line (EOS-XXX line for the non-US folks). First time I'd seen this Canon commercial too. Now, this was the first time EVER for me to see two camera commercials even on the same day (except when it's the Nikon Ashton Kutcher commercials).

But wait ... it doesn't end there. A few minutes later, SONY ... yes SONY ...shows up with a commercial about the NEX!! The highlight camera was the NEX5 (or maybe it was 5N). First time I'd ever seen ANY Sony camera commercials. Plus, it's now three camera commercials in less than an hour, and without any Nikon commercials.

And then a few minutes later, Ashton Kutcher finally made an appearance with a commercial for the Nikon J1. They showed the V1 at the end of the commercial next to the J1.

Wow .... what a night!

Ok, one more though!! Panasonic came back one more time, and showcased it's Lumix point and shoot cameras. I have no idea what the highlight camera was, but it wasn't the LX5.

It was quite the weird night for me, to see so many camera commercials in one night, especially from Panasonic and Sony. I'd seen some Rebel commercials and Powershot commercials featuring Andre Agassi and Maria Sharapova (me ... like ... :love:) in the past. And of course, I'd seen plenty of Ashton Kutcher commercials. But Panny and Sony? And five camera commercials within a two hour span? It was like being in the Twilight Zone.

good thing you don't live in the UK Armanius, there's a constant procession at the moment of Lumix, Sony, and Nikon 1 ads in the commercial breaks ... Olympus is quite conspicuous by it's absence however

That would be very bad for me. I'm already prone to buying lots of gear without seeing any advertisement. Imagine if I saw them constantly.

No Oly commercials here that I've ever seen. But I do hear they are quite prevalent in the Japanese market.

That would be very bad for me. I'm already prone to buying lots of gear without seeing any advertisement. Imagine if I saw them constantly.
:rofl: You are too much, Armando!

True, though, it's bad enough just reading the forums...GXR lust, GXR lust...they're pretty hot and heavy now... Have you made your list yet for Santa?

I've been lusting after a GXR. How did you know that? Those GXR threads, with all the discussions about customization this, customization that, snap focus, great photos, blah blah blah ... bad for my eyes. Worse for the wallet.

Also been lusting after the GX1. But I find it funny that anyone (including me) would be willing to pay $699 for a GX1 (body only), when we can get a GH2 with the 14-42 lens, a better sensor, superior video capabilities, better ergonomics, tilt LCD, and a built in EVF ... for the same price!! I keep telling myself that in order to stop myself from ordering a GX1. :rolleyes:

No Santa list. Just give me world peace. Haha.

I'm trying not to lust after the GXR, keeping my eyes closed when opening any of the related threads has worked for me so far! Also, going into my local Jessops camera shop to ask if they stock any of the Ricoh cameras only to be told they have NEVER heard of them helps even more!

Karen, if you would like, I can do a search of some other shops or online retailers in your neck of the neighborhood for the GXR, and send their contact info your way! Just trying to be helpful. :)

we've had lots and lots of ads for the Panasonic GF3 with X kit lens the last few weeks, along with the second round of Sony NEX ads, and the yearlong (and I must say very cohesive) nikon campaign for both point and shoots and DSLR's. Don't remember having seen any nikon 1 system ads though...

The Nikon J1 advert has just run here while I was reading your post. With Lego toys, various ladies perfumes and a Justin Bieber advert following straight after.

Back